How old is a hen when she quits laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whispering Winds, Aug 6, 2009.

1. I don't think I ever saw this mentioned, and my Chickens for Dummies book raised the question!! Good book too!!!!!

2. Over Easy in Adna

Over Easy in Adna Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Adna Washington
    So the book raised the question and did not answer it?????

How much is the book again? [​IMG]

3. Kezzie

Kezzie Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    I think it really depends on the individual chicken. Some on the boards report their hens laying regularly at 3 to 5 years of age still. Some barely lay after their first molt.

4. mekasmom

mekasmom Songster

Dec 9, 2008
    All chickens lay all their lives. But after that second molt it is fewer and fewer eggs. A six year old chicken may only lay ten eggs a year or even less. Egg production is drastically dropped as they age. That's why so many people cook them after that second molt. But many hens lay their whole life, just less and less and less to almost nothingness.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  5. Wow! I posted this hours ago, and its just now showing up. If the same thing pops up, please delete it . . .so, in other words, just plan on having some old girls around that eat and keep everyone company but none to very few eggs. I could live with that.

6. BigBen

BigBen Songster

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    What is molting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: