How old is a rooster before he starts getting 'mean'?

hd_darcy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
So, we have some 3 month old chicks.... and one totally bit my son yesterday and wouldn't let-up! Luckily my son laughed it off. But, is that normal? Can they start developing an attitude at only 3 months old? He's just a little guy. I fear the future if that's how he's acting already!!

Thanks!

So, does a bite at 3 months old mean anything at all? He left a mark even... maybe just because he was scared?? It's a little bantam cochin cockeral (frizzle).. Thanks!

There is no set age when they start being nasty. I have a RIR cockerel who is looking at the stew pot if he doesn't shape up soon. He started being nasty at 8 weeks old when he killed one of his coop mates. I think it may have been accidental, but I have been watching him closely ever since. His name is Tetrazzini and that's what he'll be if he doesn't mend his ways.

My rir- Russel was doing the same thing. Everytime I went to the yard-he came after me and went for my ankles and tops of my feet. He even broke the skin! I told my daughter about it when she got back from camp and she put him in his place. She went up to him and knocked him over and kept knocking him over- he learned who is boss and now he is an angel.
smile.png
But he still has to leave because of the non stop crowing. He was about 13 weeks when he started his aggressiveness and about a month old when he started crowing!
good luck

Back
Top Bottom