How old is my duckling?

iboughtaduck

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
I bought this duckling a couple days ago and he currently lives in a brooder; but as for the age of the duckling I'm not very sure at all. The only thing I really know is that I bought him on Thursday the 21st. Perhaps someone can give me an educated guess by the pic?

That said, I have another problem. I don't know how long I need to be keeping him under the heat lamp, because last night when I went to bed, I had the heat lamp on his box. He was in the shadow on the edge of the box, so I figured I'd adjust the light so that the box is 1/2 in the shade and 1/2 in the light. If he gets cold, he goes to the warm, and warm he goes to the cold. When I woke up, however, he was still mingling in the shade. Does this mean it's too warm for him... or perhaps he doesn't need it at night....

because he's old enough to sleep alone? No idea.
Also, sex is unknown. I would sex him but the thought makes me a little squeamish. He is a Crested Pekin.

It is under 1 week. Probably got to the store at 2 days old.
You need to read up on how to care for ducklings. There are 2 links in my signature at the bottom of this post that will provide very basic info.

Are you planning on keeping this duckling inside for the next 10-15 years? A single duckling cannot live outside by itself. Ducks do best with other ducks. They are flock animals.

Yes, I plan on keeping him. I'm divided between my mothers and fathers house, my father has a pond and a great backyard. My mother has a great backyard as well. I've heard quite a bit that it's a good idea to get a couple instead of one, and I think I'm going to do that.

You really should get more, ducks have very complex social needs, and they won't survive nor thrive if they are singletons. Depending on temperatures, ducklings will stay very close to their mothers until they grow feathers. JW is right, you've got lots of reading to do. Do know that you will be doing a Mother Duck's job until that baby matures. The last time we had ducklings without a broody duck mother, I think we used the heat lamp 3-4 weeks, possibly longer in the evenings. One single duckling by itself will make the job that much more demanding on you. I strongly encourage you to research ducklings needs.

ETA: sexing ducklings is difficult and best done at age of one day (so I've read anyway). If not done properly, ducklings can be injured. I'd advise you not to take that risk.

Last edited:
Get a digital thermometer to put in the brooder so you can see what the temp is in there. and yes it needs heat but you have to be careful not to over heat. first week 90 each week there after drop by 5* thats why a thermometer is necessary Give your lil duckling a stuffed animal to snuggle with and please consider buying another duckling to keep this one company. It's really not fair to keep it with out company of it's own species. and in case you couldn't find it.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

I got two more to keep him company, I took the 'singleton' advice to heart.
thumbsup.gif
pop.gif

These are the three. I got the same breed w/out the Crest. Far left is the original, named Impulse, then Q and far right is Moneypenny.

As soon as they got home, I put them in the box and after a while they calmed down and ate a bunch, drank a bunch, you know. But now that there's three of them, they're soooooooo quiet. It's hard to believe.

Actually, I think the two new ducklings are just slightly older than Impulse. They're quite a bit larger.

Back
Top Bottom