How old is old for a hen ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbreak, Jan 9, 2012.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I am getting some BCMs this week. when do BCMs start laying? How old would be to old (how long do they ususally lay )? I really want to start breeding them. Love the color of the eggs. From my research they are gentle tame birds>

2. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    You will love copper marans! They lay beautiful chocolate colored eggs. They usually start laying when they are around 7-8 months old. I wouldnt buy any hems over 1.5 ears old because after 1 year they start slowing down on laying eggs. Also they older the maran hen the lighter the eggs.

3. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Quote:Thank you for the advice.

4. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Hens start a rather straight line reduction of their egg laying after age two of about 10% a year. A four year old hen will lay about 80% of what a year old hen will lay. These numbers are from a Univ of Florida study of standard breed egglayers and jive with what I've experienced.

5. mjlabs

mjlabs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2011
    West Central Illinois
    I would keep the hens a few years at least......they wont slow much

6. Mr. Barred Rock

Mr. Barred Rock New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Good Morning,
    I am looking for some more info on how old a chicken will be when they stop laying. I thought they would lay pretty much till they got old 15-20 years and died. I understand that the egg production drops with age. I read one article that said a chicken is born with x amount of eggs inside, when they are gone that's it about 2-2.5 years. If some one has some articles on this I would appreciate some links and wisdom.
    Thanks

7. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    There is no upper range for egg laying in a hen. She will decrease about 10% a year in production. My seven year old lays an egg a week with no signs of stopping. 15-20 years is a little optimistic for the life of a hen however. Very few make it to 10 years. The Guiness book of world records records the oldest hen living to 16.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_(chicken)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by