1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old is this chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by doubleatraining, Oct 16, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    This is my first batch of chicks. I bought them last week and I didn't find out how old they are. They have feathers on their wings and about 3/4" tail feathers.

Here is one of the French Splash Maran chicks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am going to say that they must have only been a few days old when you bought them (I guess three or five). Because that one looks no more than a week and a half to two weeks old to me.

3. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Quote:x2

4. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Here is a picture of them the day I bought them:

[​IMG]

I guess I didn't expect them to feather out so fast. When will they stop needing heat?

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    From my rather limited experience... I would say no more than 2 weeks- at 1 week my babes had some wing feathers, tails started just after, but more than 2 weeks, other feathers were coming in!

6. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    when you bought them it looks like maybe 1 or 2 weeks. feathers are coming in, not too major tho, also looks small in your hand. Seems young

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Here is an excellent resource for chick care that describes heat requirements:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

I would like to add that if your weather is cold by the time they are at 70 degrees and fully feathered, you might wish to slowly decrease the wattage of the light bulb first, over a period of time, to prevent cold stress.

I like to give mine a 100 watt bulb even after they are "fully feathered" until at least 2-3 months old if raising chicks in the winter. And then if really cold, even longer. I just watch the babies to see if they seem cold after a couple of months in winter. They don't have the meat on their bones as they do by wintertime if raised in the spring. And no chance to get that winter down built up by natural acclimation to the colder fall days.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  8. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    1 to 3 weeks old

9. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I don't have experience with that breed - but all my chicks so far have gotten their wing feathers started on Day 3 and had most wing feathers by 2 weeks showing. Tail feathers would start on week 1 and by week 2 pretty obvious. By 3 weeks they looked alot like they would at 4 weeks only shorter. Hope this helps!

I moved my chicks out to the coop by 4 weeks old - it was summer for the first batch so no need for extra heat, the 2nd batch had a brooder lamp for awhile b/c it was nearing fall. My newest babies will have a heat lamp from 4 to 8 weeks until they are more feathered - but they will also be in the coop by 4 weeks old. I have a divided coop - so plenty of outside brooder room.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  10. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Id say 2-3 weeks. Mine are coming uup on 4 weeks and are just a bit more feathered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by