how old is too old to butcher?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by japrasz, Jun 27, 2007.

1. japrasz

japrasz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2007
    Hello, I have raised chicks for eggs, but recently got some freebies with an order of chicks. Turns out most are roos. I want to make use of them so I figure we would butcher them and use them for meat. They are 10 weeks old now. I am just starting to be able to tell if they are roos or hens. Is it too late to turn them into meat?

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I dont think 10 weeks is too old, but I guess it all depends on the breed. What breed/s will you be butchering??

3. japrasz

japrasz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2007
    Easter egg roos

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Ahhh....see I know nothing about EE's as far as using them for meat.

5. Slim

Slim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Portage Michigan
    Butcher now. They'll be smaller than a Cornish X but if you wait too long they'll get stringy for anything but stew/soup/dumplings etc.... If stew and dumplings is a good option, wait untill 14-16 weeks. But you'll want to stew them for a good 8 hours.

-Slim

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  6. bodnarinq

bodnarinq New Egg

May 4, 2010
    HOw old is really too old to butcher Chickens or Ducks? My mom figured we'd eat them after they stop laying. Is this possible?

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They are never too old. You just need to change your cooking methods as they get older.

1 person likes this.
  8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    I have about 7 EE roos, they are about 6 or 7 months now, they are only good for stew meat? Should I even bother plucking them or just take the skin off? I have too many roosters!!! [​IMG]

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    At 6 or 7 months you will want to cook them slowly, whatever the method. Some of it is a matter of your preferences regarding "toothiness" of meat.

I used to have a link, lost in my last computer crash, to a great article about cooking heritage chickens (EE's aren't exactly heritage, but the meat is the same.) My son roasts them on the BBQ, covered at low heat for a few hours, up to about 20 weeks. I hope someone comes along with that link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by