how old is too old

smarsh

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2009
lexington, KY
when it comes to frying chicken, what age has the chicken became too tough? In my childhood farm years, we filled a freezer every year with young fryers and I don't ever remember it being too tough. On my first efforts since that time long long ago, I have found them a little chewy. the first I killed were 13 weeks. Now I realize I am not the cook my mom was, and I actually grilled mine, not pan fried in lard.

I miss the days of entire meals fried in hog renderings; potatoes, chicken, wilted lettuce. I also miss the days my digestive system could take it.

They are likely to all be tougher than you are used to. I haven't fried any older birds myself or dual purpose birds; I usually can them but you can also slow roast them or put them in the crockpot. I have a cornish X roaster in the crockpot right now--not because I think it will be tough but because it was too hot to bake it.

There are quite a few topics on here about tough meat and not resting the bird long enough.... so I thought I'd chime in in case you aren't letting the bird rest for at least a day in the fridge before cooking it. Some will even tell you to wait a few days or more if the bird is older - as well as potentially freezing the bird and then also letting it rest a day.

If all of this is already common knowledge to you - sorry for the repetition!
smile.png

P.S. I went to the doctor today who told me to "eat more salad." So I know how you feel. lol

Back
Top Bottom