HOW OLD IS YOUR OLDEST CHICKEN AND HOW MANY EGGS DO YOU STILL GET

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazy huhn, Sep 20, 2008.

1. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    My oldest is only about 2 years old and of course still laying very well. They will stay with me forever, no matter what, but out of curiosity: how old is your oldest chicken and do you still get any eggs?

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    My very 1st Banty Hen is 4 going on 5 years old and i get an egg from her everyday still [​IMG]

but she goes broody a lot so i just let her hatch her own eggs out when ever she goes broody

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Ny oldest is only about 2 years old, but she has only ever laaid an egg every other day. She stops after 6 or 7, then goes broody. She is also a bantam...Blue Splash Dutch.

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    My oldest is only 17 months, but I am interested in the responses.... [​IMG]

5. Tilly

Tilly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2008
    I have 2 hens that are 8yrs.
    They still lay pretty well [​IMG]

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Tilly: Can you quantify the "pretty well"? How many eggs a week?

7. Tilly

Tilly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2008
    Sorry not at the moment they share with some younger hens but have different coloured eggs to them. To be honest ive never bothered to count just noticed the colour.
    WIll keep an eye on them and see if you like.
    They are just pets (I dont eat eggs lol)

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I just started keeping chickens and I was surprised to hear that they had birds for 8+ years!!!! I never knew chickens lived that long, so now I'm curious how the egg production cycle goes with age....just curious I guess to hear others experiences....

oh yeah, and [​IMG]

9. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    My chickens have just started laying, so I'm glad to know they could go longer than 1-2 years.
    This a good post.[​IMG]

10. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I have two "retired" girls who I got from some one who was going to make them stew. They are about 2 1/2 one of them lays an egg almost every day, the other ones probly every 2 1/2-3 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by