HOW OLD IS YOUR OLDEST CHICKEN AND HOW MANY EGGS DO YOU STILL GET

crazy huhn

Songster
May 24, 2008
My oldest is only about 2 years old and of course still laying very well. They will stay with me forever, no matter what, but out of curiosity: how old is your oldest chicken and do you still get any eggs?

My very 1st Banty Hen is 4 going on 5 years old and i get an egg from her everyday still
smile.png

but she goes broody a lot so i just let her hatch her own eggs out when ever she goes broody

Quote:
Ny oldest is only about 2 years old, but she has only ever laaid an egg every other day. She stops after 6 or 7, then goes broody. She is also a bantam...Blue Splash Dutch.

Sorry not at the moment they share with some younger hens but have different coloured eggs to them. To be honest ive never bothered to count just noticed the colour.
WIll keep an eye on them and see if you like.
They are just pets (I dont eat eggs lol)

I just started keeping chickens and I was surprised to hear that they had birds for 8+ years!!!! I never knew chickens lived that long, so now I'm curious how the egg production cycle goes with age....just curious I guess to hear others experiences....

oh yeah, and
welcome-byc.gif

My chickens have just started laying, so I'm glad to know they could go longer than 1-2 years.
This a good post.
jumpy.gif

I have two "retired" girls who I got from some one who was going to make them stew. They are about 2 1/2 one of them lays an egg almost every day, the other ones probly every 2 1/2-3 days

Back
Top Bottom