HOW OLD IS YOUR OLDEST CHICKEN AND HOW MANY EGGS DO YOU STILL GET

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazy huhn, Sep 20, 2008.

1. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obelisk is 5. She lays an egg almost every day from March to July.

2. DDRanch

DDRanch Songster

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    My beautiful and sweet Mary Virginia is 5 and I get a blue egg pretty consistently every day. Right now she is moulting so she is laying about 4 a week.

[​IMG]

3. Malbri

Malbri Songster

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    My black sex link hen lived to be 8 years old and laid every summer regularly, but winter production definetly slowed down more each year

4. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    My beautiful and sweet Mary Virginia is 5 and I get a blue egg pretty consistently every day. Right now she is moulting so she is laying about 4 a week.

WOW -- dd... that is an amazing bird! What kind is it?​

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Songster

May 24, 2008
    Great, that sounds like many more years to come for my girls.

Are there particular breeds getting older than others, laying more eggs than others when getting older?

6. claud

claud Songster

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    I have a hen that is about 9 years old. She lays an egg almost every day in the summer. Her egg is a bit strange looking but perfectly good to eat.
    She's a Rhode Island Red(production type most likely).

7. CottageChicken22

CottageChicken22 Songster

Sep 17, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    AMAZING!! I thought hens stopped laying at around 2 years old!!!! LOL, you learn something new everyday, huh? [​IMG]

8. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Seems like the SLWs laid the longest. Strong for 5yrs, then a few a week for another two yrs. The BJGs slowed down at like 3 yrs of age...slackers! But I had one live to 13yrs so that's ok with me! I keep them forever, even if they are retired. They are pets first! Egg-makers next...[​IMG]

9. CottageChicken22

CottageChicken22 Songster

Sep 17, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:AMEN!! [​IMG]

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Same here...it's like when it starts getting light by 6...when Obelisk starts laying again, the spring is coming..,LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: