1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old is your oldest chicken?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gotchickenbawks, Feb 26, 2016.

1. gotchickenbawks

gotchickenbawks New Egg

Jan 30, 2016
    Just wanted to know how long chickens live from peoples experience. Post pics! [​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    on average about 10 years but some live to be way older and then others may get sick and only live 4-5 years.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    My oldest chicken was almost 15 years old. She was also my first chicken! She died a couple years ago.

More commonly, my birds live about 7 or so years, sometimes a bit less or a bit more.

4. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

13 12 and 8

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    The oldest I have now are 5.
    I lost one hen at 3 years old (ovarian cancer I believe) and two others were 4 when they died.

I believe genetics have a lot to do with how old they live too. It seems that certain hatchery breeds weren't made to live passed a certain age. Like Production Reds and those sorts of breeds.

I hope to have a chicken live as old as @Chickerdoodle13 bird managed to. 15 years is quite the milestone for a chicken.

What was her aging secret? :lol:
    (My hens want to know...)

6. below_gravity

below_gravity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Jutland, New Jersey
    I have a coming 9 year old RIR and BO. I thought they were old! Im impressed with these teenagers.

I have lost several birds around 5-6, so I thought that that might be a typical turning point for chickens?

7. OrganizedChaos0

OrganizedChaos0 New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    Our hens seem to average out at 15/16 years old.
    Buffs, Australorps, Silkies.
    The ones that didn't live very were the Cornish crosses, they died at 4 years old, which I stikl understand is old for that particular breed.

8. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours was 6 or 7

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by