How Old is your Oldest Chicken?

I have a barred rock who was passed down to me from an aunt. I don't know how old she is exactly, but she's at least 8, I'm guessing 9 or 10. Her poor feet are all swollen, but she's still the bossiest bird in the flock. Mean old Lulu....

I have a barred rock who was passed down to me from an aunt. I don't know how old she is exactly, but she's at least 8, I'm guessing 9 or 10. Her poor feet are all swollen, but she's still the bossiest bird in the flock. Mean old Lulu....
:thumbsup

The oldest hen usually is the bossiest. At least in my flock it is. :)

white leghorn five years old and just stopped laying the other week. All the other birds lay brown eggs so it was easy to see when she stopped laying. 
My 5 year old is still laying when she's not brooding. I bet it's because she is so frequently broody. She's saving her eggs :D

She lays a very light blue egg, very popular with my neighbours grandson! Not many people seem to have EEs in my area so bit of a novelty.

Re Oliver being 12 years old- I did not realise this was such a big deal until I joined this forum as I had an old hen reach 13 last year. Both are mixed breed which probably explains a lot. I really wanted Olivers line to go one which is why I bought the cochin x banties and bred as soon as I could. Thinking Oliver was surely on his way out, I ended up with 6 of his sons!!! I have rehomed 2 & the other 4 are really gentle and do not challenge him (yet). They are 6.5 months, so all ok at the moment.
Oliver still "services" his hens and has spent at least half of everyday freeranging, although all are snake proofed at night, survived numerous losses of his wives to pythons over the years. He has outlived wives, children and grandchildren. He is my favourite so rock on 13!

This is the whole reason I started this thread. I didn't know chickens could live to the ripe age of 12!

My oldest is 4.5 weeks old
hide.gif

white leghorn five years old and just stopped laying the other week. All the other birds lay brown eggs so it was easy to see when she stopped laying.
This makes me happy. My leghorn just turned 3 and she is such a good layer. I don't want her to stop - but, maybe I still have some time.

Back
Top Bottom