How old need a rooster be to crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by christineavatar, Feb 26, 2013.

1. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I got a shipment of chicks in mid-October. I had ordered 20 hens and one rooster. Four of the chicks died in the first three weeks but all the rest stayed healthy. I had thought that one of the dead ones had been the rooster because (until this morning) there was no crowing. Four AM this morning a feeble (unpracticed) cock-a-doodle-do sounded. I was so amazed my first thought was that one of the older hens had 'butched up' and taken on the male role - plausible but not probable. Any one else have an opinion (or experience) about a rooster keeping quiet for four months?

2. 4 months old is par for the course with many.

It has been my experience to start hearing real crowing at 3 to 6 months old.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It depends on the roo, to be honest. I've had little guys crow as early as 5 weeks, and some roosters won't crow until as late as a year or more.

4. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I guess all the rooters I've had in the past started crowing around 5 weeks. Thank you for the feedback.

5. I couldn't help but laugh.

Seems like if you want them quiet they want start crowing early. I feel for ya.

I personally like the sound of a rooster. But not everybody in the neighborhood might.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by