How old should a chick be before changing feed from Medicated chick starter to layer pellets

pollizichickens

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
Can anyone help me with the answer to my question on the age of a chick when they should stop eating medicated chick starter and start eating layer pellets with the big chickens? I have 16 baby chicks that were hatched April 13th, they are in a separate enclosed area, but are outgrowing their home. When can I release them into the chicken yard with the adult chickens and ducks?

Thanks chickenlver2013

They shouldn't eat layer feed (4% calcium) till they're laying eggs.
They don't need medicated feed at all but a higher protein feed while they're growing. Starter can be medicated or non-medicated. People usually transition to a grower feed around 18% protein after about 8 weeks.

Can anyone help me with the answer to my question on the age of a chick when they should stop eating medicated chick starter and start eating layer pellets with the big chickens? I have 16 baby chicks that were hatched April 13th, they are in a separate enclosed area, but are outgrowing their home. When can I release them into the chicken yard with the adult chickens and ducks?

Thanks chickenlver2013

Chicks should be closer to the size of the adults before just turning them in with them. Usually, the youngest I do that is 10-12 weeks of age and here, I only do it with the much older hens who don't put much effort into harassing or hurting them. If you put one or two month old chicks in with a bunch of adults, they can actually be killed.

I use a starter/grower, non-medicated, until they go onto layer feed. That is usually when they are over 16-18 weeks or until they are actually laying. The younger age is when I have to put them in with adults before they actually begin laying due to limited space. Since my old hens are mostly not laying, they eat the starter feed with the chicks so the chicks don't get too much calcium.

Back
Top Bottom