How old should a hen be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rancher hicks, Dec 31, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I intend to set eggs to hatch. I have some hens that are 5 mos. old CM's laying nice sized eggs and some hens 10 mos old Dels. And some I'm sure are at least a year. Dels also.

Should I expect any problems hatching these eggs? I'm aware the older hens eggs will be fine. I will be using a Hova Bator. I've used it before and only used the older hens eggs. I got 6 out of 13.

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    If they are laying good sized eggs, you should be able to hatch them (assuming you have a rooster [​IMG] )

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Have you checked your 5 month olds for fertility bullets? I'm thinking 5 is a bit young usually for this breed. How long have they been laying...... Usually for me, it's a minimum of 1 month of laying on eggs before I'll try to hatch, as I don't like to hatch the pullet eggs.....The pullet eggs will sometimes hatch, but often not....

Just my 2 cents and hope it helps!

Have a blessed one!

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Alot of people hatch pullet eggs. I just hatched a BR from a pullet ... her 4th egg ever.

You do have a rooster, right? Have you checked for the, "bullseye," to assure fertility?

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    They've been laying for a approx. a month The CM's that is. The other's about 5 month's now. I only intend to hatch the Del eggs of my flock. My roo is a Del. I've got 5 CM hens w/ a CM roo. Seperate of course. Today I watched the Del hens and waited for them to lay their eggs. There were no other eggs in the box so I'm sure there Del eggs. Isn't a pullet a young female chicken who has not started to lay?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:The term "pullet" refers to a young hen, usually under one year of age .... laying or not.

It can refer to a laying hen or a meat chicken but is more typically used in reference to a laying hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by