How old to free range peachicks?

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
I have a buyer for my 3 year old peacock and 9 peachicks (varying from 1 month to 3 months old). He will keep them
in a safe penned area with a barn for a month or so but will eventually want them all to free range on his large farm with
all his other farm animals. I know the peacock should be acclimated enough by that time but not sure how old the peachicks
should be before they can brave the free range. Any suggestions?

We free-range a lot of chicks with their moms but single birds need to be old enough to be able to take care of themselves. They need to be fully feathered, able to spot danger, know where to find food and shelter. We have a dozen free-range chicks with moms but only one two-month chick that gets to run all over following us everywhere we go and always underfoot but Eggbert gets put up in the nursery at night with the cats. Eggbert was getting pecked on by his brooder mates and had to be removed and we were never able to get it returned without them pecking so it just gets to run all over the place.
IMG_4197.JPG
IMG_4193.JPG
IMG_4104.JPG

We free-range a lot of chicks with their moms but single birds need to be old enough to be able to take care of themselves. They need to be fully feathered, able to spot danger, know where to find food and shelter. We have a dozen free-range chicks with moms but only one two-month chick that gets to run all over following us everywhere we go and always underfoot but Eggbert gets put up in the nursery at night with the cats. Eggbert was getting pecked on by his brooder mates and had to be removed and we were never able to get it returned without them pecking so it just gets to run all over the place.View attachment 2778457View attachment 2778458View attachment 2778460
Hmmm...Eggbert getting picked on by its brooder mates gives me some concern over the fact that I am selling my 9 chicks to a buyer...but the chicks come from separate pens and are different ages ie., 6 weeks, 7 weeks, 11 weeks and 12 weeks old. If he puts them all together do you think it will be a blood bath? What are the chances of them all getting along?

We free-range a lot of chicks with their moms but single birds need to be old enough to be able to take care of themselves. They need to be fully feathered, able to spot danger, know where to find food and shelter. We have a dozen free-range chicks with moms but only one two-month chick that gets to run all over following us everywhere we go and always underfoot but Eggbert gets put up in the nursery at night with the cats. Eggbert was getting pecked on by his brooder mates and had to be removed and we were never able to get it returned without them pecking so it just gets to run all over the place.View attachment 2778457View attachment 2778458View attachment 2778460
We are having the same problem. We currently have 3 peachicks separated from the free ranging parents & 8 peachicks/with mothers. Does your orphaned chick that runs around just avoid the other birds? I'm guessing that's easy for the chick to do, avoid the birds that don't like him?

We DNA sexed Eggbert, now Eggly is a hen and she has the full run of anywhere she wants to go. She sleeps in the nursery with a couple of cats and a half dozen brooder stacks and runs around the yard all day with the other animals including peas. No one bothers her and if they do she comes running back to us or into the nursery. Yesterday she was playing cat and mouse with our kitten, it was fun to watch them play. Eggly does not avoid anything, she has no fear. Yet. Pic is four weeks old, she is a lot bigger now.
IMG_4197.JPG

Back
Top Bottom