How old to go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bart40330, Feb 8, 2009.

1. bart40330

bart40330 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Old enough to lay, old enough to brood?

My buff silkie hen laid her first egg today. Confirming that she is indeed a hen, I put her and a buff silkie rooster in a large cage together to use as a breeding pair. Should she start setting as soon as she has laid a clutch (and how many is a clutch?) or does she need to get a little older?

2. CA-reds

CA-reds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    kentucky
    I'm not sure what a clutch is but if she laid her first egg she is either a young pullet or a hen the rooster should breed her either way depending on if he is fertile it may also be determined on the size of egg.

3. bart40330

Nov 27, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Well yes she is a pullet, and about six months old. What I am asking is, will a six month old pullet go broody?

4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    you never can tell, they have to get it in their head that they want raise chicks, there's nothing you can do to make her go broody,

5. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Silkies EASILY go broody-- even the Males!
    Let her collect eggs over a few days time...
    once there are several in the nest, she'll probably set on them. If not, collect em up, and start again an a few weeks....
    Both my Gals and one Roo are broody atthe drop of a hat and steal other chickens eggs to sit on! LMAO!

6. bart40330

Nov 27, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Quote:Hold on. Are you telling ole Bart that the rooster will sit on the eggs????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by