How old to go into the coop?

Annichka

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I know this question has been asked many times before but I haven't found an answer specific to my situation. Apologies in advance. I don't know how old my chicks are - got them at the feed store two weeks ago. They are starting to fly up out of the brooder, though (they are clever: first onto the top of the feeder, then out!). I keep the chicken wire top on and that keeps them in, but the brooder is seeming a bit cramped and there are only four of them. I don't have any older chickens, the coop is in the garage with a run that leads to the outside and is covered, and I live in Oregon, where in July the temps never get below 55 (and usually not below 60). If I were to put the brooder lamp in with them, do you think they would be ok in their coop, or should I wait? I don't want to rush them, but they seem so energetic and confined in there.

They will be fine I would go ahead and move them into their new home. Do they have all their feathers in? If so you might be able to get away with no heat lamp. Good Luck and post pics of your babies enjoying their new home.

Back
Top Bottom