How old to go outside

JoeyJoejoe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
It's in the 60's during the day and getting down to freezing or about 5 degrees above at night.

They ducks are 4 weeks old today and they are starting to get their feathers in force now.

When can they go outside in this weather? Not only are they outgrowing their brooder, but they/ and I would be happier with them being outside.

Any thoughts?

What kind of care can you take of them outside? At four weeks, they'll need protection from the weather and a little heat, but otherwise, sure, esp. if you have several of them! Do you have a shed or coop or? for them? Someplace you can keep the drafts and wet out and a heat lamp, access to come and go as they want and some warm bedding and your're set!

Quote:
If you have a way of giving them heat then move them outside, but with your lows at night I wouldn't put them out with out a heat source. They need to be fully feathered.

So, I can certainly run power out to their pen. I will need to build a draft-free shelter, and predator proof the run.

I'm wondering if there is a better alternative to an infrared bulb. It would be nice to find something that won't cause a fire. Any ideas?

There are 8 of them, so I think with some bedding and a heat source they will be able to keep warm enough. I can't wait to get them outdoors. They are just too messy to be inside.

I have 25 that are about 5 weeks old.
They are all outside and have been since they hatched. They have a small coop they can go in and out of as they please. Inside, I have 2 heat lamps that I leave on all the time. I nailed them in so there isn't a chance of them falling.
I covered the floor with hay and put more in as needed (every few days now). Even on the really cold nights (20 F) half of them sleep outside. They only have about 1/3 of their feathers, but the cold doesn't seem to bother them like I thought it would.

Back
Top Bottom