How old was your oldest first time broody?

Yep. Surprised me too. At first, I thought she might be getting sick, and she doesn't seem fully broody yet (no pancaking. But she's pretty flighty, so staying on the nestbox while I'm in the coop is a strong marker).

I have eggs I want hatched, so I'mma see if she sticks to it.
Double wow - first that she made it to 7, and then for taking the prize (so far) for oldest first timer :lol:

Wow that's really impressive! Go grandma!
Yeah. She had a bad batch last year, she forgot that chicks need more attention when they hatch and ended up losing them all when she just walked away and left them. But this year she hatched 4, and now had probably a good dozen or so she's stored from other hens and is caring for. Her oldest is like 2 weeks and her youngest is a little under a week

Yeah. She had a bad batch last year, she forgot that chicks need more attention when they hatch and ended up losing them all when she just walked away and left them. But this year she hatched 4, and now had probably a good dozen or so she's stored from other hens and is caring for. Her oldest is like 2 weeks and her youngest is a little under a week
Grandma's memory fails sometimes, but she's trying her best. I love it :love I have one really good broody who's been raising chicks for me every year for the past 3 years, and if she lives to be 10, she'll get to do this every year (though I may need to keep a closer eye on things as she gets old and starts forgetting things).

Back
Top Bottom