How old were your RIR's when they started laying?

Tdub4chiks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Constantia, NY
I know it's a little soon for my girls. They are only 13 weeks old. I have heard that they can start laying as early as 16 weeks or as late as 23 weeks.

How old were your RIR's when they started laying?

Thanks for any input.

Mine were born April 19th and I have one (or 2) that have been laying about a week and a half. So they are 1 week shy of being 5 months old. I went out of town for 5 days last week. DH found an egg in the garage a week ago Wednesday, while I was gone, of course. He kept looking for more and never found any. I looked behind the nest boxes in a gap between them and the wall and found 6 more on this last Wednesday. So, either 1 is laying everyday, or 2 or more are laying more sporadically. Dont know yet how many are laying. It sure is fun finding them!

Good morning. What type of RIReds do you have? Production or Heritage? I have a friend who has production reds that started to lay around 5 mounths but my heritage reds were born on the 23rd of January and they haven't started to lay has of yet. I did some searching on here and was told that heritage reds could take up to 8 or 9 months.
th.gif
Talk about patience, it's killing me
he.gif
. Hopefully they will soon start
fl.gif
Good luck with which ever breed you have and enjoy them. Chickens are so much fun. Have a great day and God bless!

So that makes them about 20 weeks old when they started laying. It's funny where they end up leaving their eggs. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
I'm not eggsactly sure which type I have. Out of 4, two look to be heritage and the other two look like either production reds or NHRs. The other two are a little lighter than the ones I believe to be heritage.

I've only been in the chicken biz for 3 mo now. lol Still learning.

I don't know exactly when they are supposed to start but most of mine were laying by 6 months old and two didn't start until they were almost 8 months.

I have two RIRs one started laying at 18 weeks, the other is just starting at 22 weeks. My golden sex link started at 16 weeks. My barred p rock eats, poops and tries to fly a lot.

I have 3 production reds, and the first one started at 18 weeks and all were laying by 22 weeks. I hear the heritage RIRs take longer to lay, and also lay less, but they produce eggs for awhile.

Mine were 19 weeks and 4days when I found the first egg and it was layed in one of the nestboxes, eventhough they freerange all day. Smart hens.
This just happened yesterday.
Today no egg but I am patient now that i know that they can actually lay.
pop.gif

Love my chickens
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom