• Younger

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Galaxy_rules

🌸🌱Galaxy🌱🌸
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2023
Canada 🍁
How old should my silkie chicks be to go outside? I live in Canada so the summer days are about 20 Celsius but the nights are fairly cold. I’m guessing that the right time to put them out is about 10 weeks and then bring them in for the night? Is this correct? Can I take their heat away? They are usually under the lamp. They are around 3 weeks old now. What should I do?
Thanks in advance!

You should be able to start weening them off the heat now. Every week, you should lower the heat by 5° until they're at the normal outside temperature. Something I do in the weening process is on the warmer days I remove the heat completely for a couple of hours, occasionally checking on them to be sure they're not getting too cold.

You should be able to start weening them off the heat now. Every week, you should lower the heat by 5° until they're at the normal outside temperature. Something I do in the weening process is on the warmer days I remove the heat completely for a couple of hours, occasionally checking on them to be sure they're not getting too cold.
Ok, my lamp only has an on and an off button. Is there a button I’m missing? image.jpg image.jpg

I usally raise the lamp(5 degrees weekly) eventually taking it away for 1 week before mine go outside. I have raised them in the coop to, and do the same. I think at 10 weeks they would be ok.

When incubating I lower heat faster than the 5 degrees per week, I watch the chick behavior and don't actually know numbers. In summer temperatures even silkie chicks can easily be out by 6 weeks. I had a mom ween at 3 weeks in mild winter temps. (20 F). The chicks occasionally slipped under other broodies at night, but only for a week or two. By 5 weeks they were no longer finding heat sources in winter.

When incubating I lower heat faster than the 5 degrees per week, I watch the chick behavior and don't actually know numbers. In summer temperatures even silkie chicks can easily be out by 6 weeks. I had a mom ween at 3 weeks in mild winter temps. (20 F). The chicks occasionally slipped under other broodies at night, but only for a week or two. By 5 weeks they were no longer finding heat sources in winter.
Ok! 😀

Back
Top Bottom