How on earth will I decide on chicks???

This is what I was just recently told too when I mentioned getting silkies from a hatchery. The woman told me I would be extremely disappointed and gave the names of two silkie breeders but they were way over the top for what I wanted to pay. I don't need a show silkie, just something nice to get me started. We are starting out very small with about 4-6 chickens for now. I wanted to get 3 silkies and 3 buff orpingtons for the eggs. I will be raising these chickens with my kids and want something that enjoys being held, is docile, and will get along with most other breeds. After reading your post I'm thinking of going with Barred Plymouth Rock.
The most I paid for my silkies was $15.. I got two for the price of $15 - and the other two were $15 each.
IMG_2650.jpg
Lorraine - my first silkie - $15 - She is not SQ, but has a wonderful figure. Fluffy and head so poofy she can not see hardly at all :p
IMG_0678-1.jpg
Steve - I paid $15 for Steve - He is a very well behaved rooster. He was fully mature when I got him, which was what I wanted.
_MG_4048.jpg
Ida - Paid $7.50 for her when she was 8 weeks old.
_MG_3470.jpg
Pearl - Paid $7.50 from her at 4 months old. Now here are a few 'hatchery' silkies Mine are not show quality, but they are much nicer than the hatchery silkies.. Their poofs are better, their conformation is better, and they have all five of their toes.

This is what I was just recently told too when I mentioned getting silkies from a hatchery. The woman told me I would be extremely disappointed and gave the names of two silkie breeders but they were way over the top for what I wanted to pay. I don't need a show silkie, just something nice to get me started. We are starting out very small with about 4-6 chickens for now. I wanted to get 3 silkies and 3 buff orpingtons for the eggs. I will be raising these chickens with my kids and want something that enjoys being held, is docile, and will get along with most other breeds. After reading your post I'm thinking of going with Barred Plymouth Rock.
Good idea! Barred rocks are so wonderful! :love
_MG_4392.jpg
My trio of barred rocks. I am in love with this breed. Getting 5 more on April 7th.

Oh wow, yea you can definitely the difference! Thanks for sharing! I would have no problem paying $15 - these that I saw were marked $35 and up and THEN it was $175 to ship! I was something's wrong here! LOL

Oh wow, yea you can definitely the difference! Thanks for sharing! I would have no problem paying $15 - these that I saw were marked $35 and up and THEN it was $175 to ship! I was something's wrong here! LOL 

Really though!

You could always go to a local chicken show (they have them on a few times a year in most places). I had to drive less than 5 minutes for my rooster and my first silkie. The other two were from the owner of the rooster, but I had to drive to his house (30 minutes maybe). Worth it :)

Silkies are very common. You could most likely find something better than hatchery close to home even without going to a chicken swap. Post a want ad on craig's list or Kijiji.

The hardest chicken I looked forever for was the EEs - IT took me hours of searching. We only have one hatchery that sells them in Canada, and it is on the other side of the country. The shipping was $150 for any # of chicks. That was the minimum price. I found them 3 hours away. I drove. It was worth it in my opinion!!

The Barred Rocks are beautiful! I have caught myself reading a little more about them as of late. 

I have nothing bad to say about them. :) Best. Chicken. Ever.

My rooster is really good with his girls, but he sure does have a set of lungs on him!

Another good thing about Barred Rocks is that if you know what you are looking for, they are generally easy to sex at a day old by colour alone.

I have to say ever since I told myself I wanted to get into the chicken hobby, the only thing I've been dreading is getting stuck with a rooster if I ordered eggs/or chicks that weren't promised to be all hens. We do live out in farm country and have one neighbor across the street who also has chickens, but it's soooo quiet out there. You can hear the horses from a mile or two away. I have yet to hear any rooster from across the street so I don't know if she has any although, she did mention something about having chicks soon so she must have a rooster. I'd be worried to get one that was obnoxious.

How about sexing them in general? I have 3 BR chicks that are 4.5 weeks old. 2 have a whiter, more regular splotch on their head. The 3rd has a smaller and more eggshell colored splotch.
Post pictures. At 4.5 weeks old, they will be able to tell apart for sure. Males will have lighter barring than females.
IMG_0480.jpg
My roo at 8 weeks old
IMG_0464.jpg
My pullet at 8 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom