How reliable are automatic coop doors?

Pics
I have had a Brinsea Extreme for 1.5 years, and I love it. It is programmable, reliable and has manual override- nice because I close manually after a headcount, but if I’m not home I know my flock is secure.
Batteries last a long time. Extreme winter is no problem.

Ive gone back and forth about getting an automatic door for our coop. I think I may have even made a post about it a while back. We have a coop attached to a run and do not free range. The run is secure but technically something could dig under. We aren't too concerned because we are in a neighborhood, have NEVER seen a raccoon, coyote, fox or possum, never had our trash messed with, and when my husband uses his stinky fish carcass fertilizer for the garden its never tampered with. We also have a 6 foot wooden privacy fence around our entire yard and are enclosed by fences on three sides from other neighbors. we also have a large yard full of dog smells from our 4 hounds. The entire perimeter of our home has cameras and none have EVER caught an animal other than a deer and stray cat. I know there is still a risk, but for now we aren't concerned.

That being said, I have no desire to test our predator theory once the sun goes down. I go out every evening to shut the coop door (which is an extremely secure coop) and open it when the sun comes up. It's not the biggest deal in the world to do it but I wonder if Id be happier with an auto door. I know there are a bunch out there and im mostly looking at the run chicken one, but I guess my question is how many people are thrilled with their auto doors and how many regret it or hate it. I have wifi cameras inside the run so I could check to see the door is shut at night and open in the morning, but has anyone here had an incident where the auto door didn't open or close? Anyone have an incident that had them go back to a manual door?
I used to have a very similar set up to you.

We have a coop attached to a run but we did free range. The run was secure but technically something could dig under. We aren't too concerned because we were in a neighborhood, had NEVER seen a raccoon, coyote, fox or possum, never had our trash messed with. There is a 6 foot high privacy fence around our yard. I had cameras in my coop and run.

I had one hen at the time that had a habit of roosting in the run. I thought that she was plenty safe enough in run but would go move her to the coop at night anyway. Then one night I was sick and did not haul my but out of bed and move her to the coop. That night a weasel killed her.

Here is my dear sweet Maleficent.
20210131_121754.jpg

If Mal had been in the coop, she would have been safe. That weasel was probably checking every night for a victim.

After that I finished the run so nothing could get in. I have automated doors on the coops. I did switch my cameras from watching the coop and run inside to watching the outside. I saw cats and skunks patrolling the coop and run at night looking to get in.

I bet you have animals looking to get at your chickens which you haven't even thought of. I use the Ador automated coop door and I highly recommend it.

ADOR1 Automatic Chicken Coop Door, Complete with Battery https://a.co/d/87V0gcF

I have had a Brinsea Extreme for 1.5 years, and I love it. It is programmable, reliable and has manual override- nice because I close manually after a headcount, but if I’m not home I know my flock is secure.
Batteries last a long time. Extreme winter is no problem.
That's the same folks that make the brooder plate? If so I would think it would be high quality.

I bought one of the cheap auto doors ($30-45 range on amazon) the only downside I've seen so far is that the batteries die after about 3 months. But for now it's fine, cuz we don't use batteries much around the house anymore, so it's a good way to use the stash of batteries that has been sitting in the closet for years (and hey, maybe that's why they die after 3 months, lol)

That's the same folks that make the brooder plate? If so I would think it would be high quality.
Yes, it is. I bought mine from their scratch n dent sales. In fact, ALL of my brinsea items came from the sales and not one has every failed me. They are new, just may have a blemish. —I never saw one tho. Still has warranty same as new. Well worth it, IMO

Many people contributed with telling how great their automatic pop door are. But very few told for how many years.
If I want to know if a product is thrust worthy, I would like it to work for 5 years or more without problems.

I need to buy a new one some of these days (after 8 years) and I really would like to know if anyone has a automatic pop door that lasts more than 5 years without any problems.

Many people contributed with telling how great their automatic pop door are. But very few told for how many years.
If I want to know if a product is thrust worthy, I would like it to work for 5 years or more without problems.

I need to buy a new one some of these days (after 8 years) and I really would like to know if anyone has a automatic pop door that lasts more than 5 years without any problems.
I would want to know that too. @NorthwoodsChick i didn’t know all you had to buy was the monitor- is it light sensor too? I dig your handy work and creative painting. Really just a string to pull up a wooden door!? So simple..

Good point. I've had my standard Chicken Guard since 2018. I've replaced the batteries 2 or 3 times at this point. Cord is still in good shape. I think the door has failed to open maybe 2-3 times total since we've gotten it, with at least one of those being that it got frozen into the rails, but I have it mounted internally plus there's an awning over the pop door to help protect it from the elements.

I would want to know that too. @NorthwoodsChick i didn’t know all you had to buy was the monitor- is it light sensor too? I dig your handy work and creative painting. Really just a string to pull up a wooden door!? So simple..
Yes, just the monitor. I have changed double A batteries twice- they say they will last a year but I change batteries in Fall and Spring anyway- cheaper to buy batteries than a new flock. It is light sensor and/or time/day settings. I use time in the mornings and light sensor at dusk, but I almost always go out and manually close anyway. There is a cheaper model without the time setting. The string is strong, braided. There is no locking mechanism so lifting a light door is possible. I have not had problems with raccoons but my husband fashioned the door frame with deep channels so finger’s can’t get in and lift the door. I can grasp the string and pull up the door but raccoons can’t do that ( that I know of) so it is not 100% secure without locking. A bear can get in if it really wants to even with a lock.
@BDutch -I hear you about longevity of automatic doors. I had the same dilemma regarding best product when I bought mine, and many of the same ppl replied. For me it came down to brand reputation and warranty, reliable use in winter, safety (no forced closing arm to crush the door perchers), ease of installation. For the price I would purchase this unit again if needed.

Back
Top Bottom