1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How rumors get started

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MiddleChild, Sep 5, 2011.

1. MiddleChild

MiddleChild Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Last night I was clipping the babies' wings again, since one of them had flown out right in front of me in the afternoon. I had to wait until night because they are way too fast to catch, and it was too hot to chase them anyway. So this time, instead of disconnecting the igloo section from the cage, I took scissors and flashlight and crawled into the coop right behind them. The structure they sleep in is 3' square and 2' high - it was a tight fit, not to mention a very dirty one. I was dragging them out one by one to trim feathers, talking to them and telling them alternately to shut up and it was really for their own good and what pretty chickens they were. I heard voices and thought someone was visiting the next door neighbors. But then I heard someone say, "There she is!" Now who the heck was that, walking into my now pitch-black back yard, poking into the light shining out from under the blue tarp? Could NOT recognize the voice. Then, in a hurt tone, I heard, "It's your daughter!" So long since I heard from her I couldn't even recognize her voice. Now they can go home and tell everybody how they found her aging mother in the dark in the back yard in a tiny wire box literally knee-deep in chicken poop and talking to the poultry.

2. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    That sounds about right, lol. When it gets brought up again (and you know it WILL), say something silly like, "You had to be there... from the start."

At least it wasn't a boss or preacher or best friend you hadn't seen in years!

3. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    I love it!! You made me smile! What we won't do for our babies!

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    If 2 guys in a white van show up at your door with a jacket with really long sleeves and straps that buckle in the back my advice to you is RUN!!!!![​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 2 If it had been my daughter, I'd be in hiding. My son would just shake his head and say, "That's just Dad."

6. Springthing

Springthing Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    SW Missouri
    What you SHOULD have said, to seal the deal, was something like "The goats are way too cold and everybody needs jackets. Is it time for twinkies yet?" ...or something of the sort. [​IMG]

7. MiddleChild

MiddleChild Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    First of all - they weren't shocked at all. They held the flashlight while I trimmed the last two.

Second - I've found that if people expect you to do weird stuff, they either join in happily or keep their distance. That way it's easy to tell who to give the time of day to.

Third - re the goat coats - they have goats and would have been happy to get coats so they wouldn't have to repair the goat barn.

They're all giving me the stink eye today.

8. wannalive

wannalive Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    tamms/elco Illinoiis
    pretty funny

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] great story

Imp

10. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011