MenervaGladysandPenny

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
Good morning!

I recently purchased a used chicken coop for my pullets who will be transitioning out of their brooder this week. The coop came from a local long-term chicken keepers, and the last chicken of their flocked died about 7 weeks ago at 11 years old from old age. The coop is made from solid wood, and the bottom of the coop is lined with linoleum. The coop looks like it was cleaned very well, I do not see any stains, manure, etc. there is no foul smell to the coop. The coop has great ventilation either 3 windows that open and two doors with screens behind the cleaning access doors.

How would I use sound bio security measures before introducing my chickens to the coop?

Should I use water, vinegar and lemon, a bleach solution? Just sweep it out?

Thank you for your time and advice!

i usually use a vinegar/water solution. If your afraid of mites the ivermect/water works for me but i make sure to let it sit awhile before I put the birds in

i usually use a vinegar/water solution. If your afraid of mites the ivermect/water works for me but i make sure to let it sit awhile before I put the birds in
Thank you! Do you have any advice on the ratio of vinegar and water/ how to make ivermectin water? How long should I let the coop sit before introducing the chickens?

Thank you! Do you have any advice on the ratio of vinegar and water/ how to make ivermectin water? How long should I let the coop sit before introducing the chickens?
vinegar water i use 50/50 and they can go in right after as it doesn't hurt just makes things smell like a salad. the ivermect and water 50/50 let sit for 10 mins then wipe off with clean wet rag then let sit for a few hours. the ivermect won't hurt them but its greasy feeling and may mess with feathers

Any amount of 'wet' cleaner used needs to be allowed to dry thoroughly before installing chickens.
Using an insecticide as a preventive can create resistance. If you do use it, follow the manufacturers recommendation for dilution.

Back
Top Bottom