How should I cook 22 week old cockerels?

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
Good morning, everyone!

On Saturday morning we culled 3, 22 week old mixed breed cockerels. They have been resting in the fridge for almost 2 days and probably will stay there until at least tomorrow morning.

I kept one of the carcasses fully intact in hopes to cook it in the crockpot on low. I've heard read 8 hours on low is plenty? Is this a good method? Also, I'd like to put it under the broiler in the oven when it's cooked to crisp up the skin.

Do I add any liquid to the pot with the chicken? Vegetables okay to add?

Thanks much!

8 hours on low sounds fine to me. Low and slow is what you're looking for.
I would add some liquid, maybe a half cup of water or broth. Vegetables are great to add.
Great! Thanks so much! I guess I should cook down some old hen meat for broth. No sense in using powdered stuff when I have gold available 😂😂.

I usually throw in onions, garlic, peppercorns, and anything else that appeals to me. You can go on the internet for ideas. Google is your friend. I have also just added BBQ sauce rather than liquid.

The way I cook a cockerel that age is to cut him into serving pieces and rinse him off. Then I coat the pieces with herbs. I usually use Oregano and Basil since I grow those and dehydrate them so I have a lot. Think herb crusted chicken though it's not crispy crusty when done. Nothing dry about it. Then I put the pieces in a baking dish with a tight cover with a carrot, celery, onion, and/or garlic under the meat. I do not add liquid. If you want to you can, it's just more broth but you don't have to. Use whatever herbs or veggies you might like, it doesn't really matter. Then I bake him on 250 degrees Fahrenheit for about 3 hours. Yep, 250 F, slow.

When he is finished carefully remove the pieces with a slotted spoon. Carefully because he may fall off of the bone. You should have about a half cup of liquid in the bottom of the dish. Take the fat off of that liquid and you have outstanding broth. Of course I don't use barbeque sauce. That may not make good broth.

After we eat it, I freeze those bones. When I collect about a gallon zip-loc bag of bones I put them in the crock pot overnight with water. That liquid is what I use for the water when I use the rest of the carcasses to make broth.

If you try it let me know what you think. I like it but I don't get much feedback from others when I post that recipe.

The way I cook a cockerel that age is to cut him into serving pieces and rinse him off. Then I coat the pieces with herbs. I usually use Oregano and Basil since I grow those and dehydrate them so I have a lot. Think herb crusted chicken though it's not crispy crusty when done. Nothing dry about it. Then I put the pieces in a baking dish with a tight cover with a carrot, celery, onion, and/or garlic under the meat. I do not add liquid. If you want to you can, it's just more broth but you don't have to. Use whatever herbs or veggies you might like, it doesn't really matter. Then I bake him on 250 degrees Fahrenheit for about 3 hours. Yep, 250 F, slow.

When he is finished carefully remove the pieces with a slotted spoon. Carefully because he may fall off of the bone. You should have about a half cup of liquid in the bottom of the dish. Take the fat off of that liquid and you have outstanding broth. Of course I don't use barbeque sauce. That may not make good broth.

After we eat it, I freeze those bones. When I collect about a gallon zip-loc bag of bones I put them in the crock pot overnight with water. That liquid is what I use for the water when I use the rest of the carcasses to make broth.

If you try it let me know what you think. I like it but I don't get much feedback from others when I post that recipe.
Thanks for the recipe! I may try that with one of them!

Back
Top Bottom