How should I cook this big boy?

cowdogcadillac

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Decided to take out our biggest bird yesterday. After dressing it out for eatin it weighed.....27 pounds. Too big for our deep fryer. Oven???? How many hours?? Cut it in half and deep fry half and freeze the rest? Cut it in half, wrap in foil and slow cook on the grill? Any other ideas?

Have you thought about a brined turkey? Thats my favorite. There is some simple recipes on Food network that I have tried that are great.

Emeril has some good rubs if you want to smoke it. I usually cut them in half for that.

Marinades and injections are also good on the BBQ.

Last edited:
Pretend it is Thanksgiving and stuff and roast him! I just follow the time directions in my Joy of Cooking, but folks here will probably have good advice.

If you roast it be prepared to eat a LOT of turkey! My largest one last year weighed in at 33# dressed weight! We ate turkey FOREVER when I cooked that one. He was a 16 week old BBW. Wahtever you do with it, you are goint to have a lot of bird on your hands! Good luck!

i think you should stuff and roast. my easter turkey dressed out at 42 lbs it took 15 and 1/2 hours to cook and i made my oven its pan . we are still eating turk lurk . but it was tooo big

mine dressed out last year at 33lbs. I roasted it like normal (1/2hr. per lb. @ 325) and used 1/2 bottle of wine in the juice to baste it with. perfection!.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom