How should I get my ducks to like me

I spend a lot of time out with my ducks...I will sit in the pen with them for hours...sit by the pond, even sit and yack on the phone with my best friend while hanging with the ducks LOL Most of my ducks will come running to me, my magpie/runner girl will only come to me if I have peas. My pekin lays in my arms, one of my Muscovy girls, Miss Bleenie has been a lap duck since I got her at the age of 8 days, she's now 19 months old. My 3 month old Muscovy Drake is still unsure of me but does like to see me come with food at meal time LOL Each duck has it's own personality, some warm up to people very well and some don't. I've also been lucky with my Muscovy girls when they've been broody, none of them have been mean to me, they let me pet them, pick up the eggs, even pick up the ducklings as long as I don't walk away with the duckling..then they will bark at me.

Michelle

we've found treats like tomatoes and interaction with them during bath time in pool(via spraying down with water hose when it's real hot, or just the waggle they get in their tail when they see you refilling their pool with fresh water)

I got sugar snap peas, broke them up and tossed them to my ducks. They would then come when called by name!
big_smile.png

I would never eat my pets. Thank you for all the advice they are loving the peas and the water tubs. I just keep moving the water tub further and further from the coop each time i fill it for them trying to get them more comfortable getting out in the open. They are moving around the yard a little more but still if myself or my wife come in the backyard they run and hide but we have only had them a few days so its just gonna take time I hope. Thanks again for all the advice

Even just regular everyday food works. Mine learned I meant food at an early age and it went uphill there.

Back
Top Bottom