How should I handle reintegrating my sick chicken into flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmlew99, Jan 10, 2015.

1. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this type of question, but here goes... For the past three weeks my hen has been sick with a respiratory disease so she has spent the days outside (away from other chickens), and the nights in my warm basement. My vet gave me Baytril pills to give her and it, as far as I can tell, worked to get rid of the symptoms.

He said to put her back into her flock as soon as possible because she needs to readjust to the cold and other chickens.

My question is, how and when should I try and put her back into the flock? Tonight it will get down to nine degrees, with a high of 20 degrees F. Tomorrow it will be in the twenties during the day and night. I'm worried she won't be able to survive the cold at night because she is accustomed to my basement temperature. And when would be best to put her back? At night when everyone is sleeping, or during the day so they can socialize again?

Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you have anyplace that has lower temperatures than your basement and yet predator proof?
    A garage, unheated porch, other outbuilding?

3. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    No, unfortunately:/ My coop has two parts though, I could put a crate in there and she'd be visible to her three other flock mates...

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If she's been already spending days, half her time, outside in 20F, then she can probably handle single digits at night.

I would place her on the perch between two other hens after dark. She will stay warm sandwiched, and they will all wake up together.

I would watch them for a bit in the morning when they first go out. There may be some reshuffling of the pecking order, especially if she was high ranking, but it should be minimal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by