How should I prepare for a mother duck and baby's?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chloe+chickens=LOVE, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Chloe+chickens=LOVE Songster

Jun 14, 2018
    Right now I have a muscovy duck sitting on some eggs they should be hatching around the 26 of June. So what should I get prepared for. Can't wait. Thank you in advance

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

:welcome

When my Muscovys are brooding they like their privacy so I fix them up their own space. I have a coop that was originally our first chicken coop [which of course we grew out of in no time] but it makes a great broody house and safe place for mom and ducklings. I put up the plastic poultry fencing around it for about 2-3 weeks so everyone can see the ducklings but mom and babes are safe Then when I take down the fence everyone is so use to the ducklings they pretty much ignore them. You may not have something like this but maybe something similar to use temporarily? I have chickens and ducks and geese and some can be ornery so I just go ahead and keep mine separated so I don't have to worry about any problems that can come up. It's always exciting to have ducklings hatch and such joy watching mama and babes out foraging I know you'll enjoy.

3. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    a camera for us too :D

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Jun 14, 2018
    Thank you.:D that is exactly what I will do. Want me to keep you guys updated?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Of course we want to know all about it and pics are a must. :pop

Jpat likes this.
  6. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Jun 14, 2018
    I will post some pictures in a few days so excited :celebrate:D

Jpat and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Jun 14, 2018
    They have started to hatch!!! I can hear them peeping from under her. Three are pipped can't wait.pictures coming soon.

Jpat, C3 mommy and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

:woot :pop

9. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Jun 14, 2018
    Here is an update. Lavender (muscovy mother) has three baby's :wee:Done mallard Looking one, one that has a black head and yellow chest, and one that is almost all yellow with a big black spot on her back and a few small spots on her head.I think I am naming the mostly yellow one DeeDee. Sorry no pictures yet but there should be some tomorrow.​

C3 mommy, Jpat and Lil Drake40 like this.
  10. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Jun 14, 2018
    Also these are hinny ducklings. She sat on 14 eggs 10 were rotten 4 pipped and 3 lived. They had a 30 persent hatch rate. Very special duckies lol

Lil Drake40 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: