How should I prepare for a mother duck and baby's?

Jun 14, 2018
Right now I have a muscovy duck sitting on some eggs they should be hatching around the 26 of June. So what should I get prepared for. Can't wait. Thank you in advance

:welcome

When my Muscovys are brooding they like their privacy so I fix them up their own space. I have a coop that was originally our first chicken coop [which of course we grew out of in no time] but it makes a great broody house and safe place for mom and ducklings. I put up the plastic poultry fencing around it for about 2-3 weeks so everyone can see the ducklings but mom and babes are safe Then when I take down the fence everyone is so use to the ducklings they pretty much ignore them. You may not have something like this but maybe something similar to use temporarily? I have chickens and ducks and geese and some can be ornery so I just go ahead and keep mine separated so I don't have to worry about any problems that can come up. It's always exciting to have ducklings hatch and such joy watching mama and babes out foraging I know you'll enjoy.

Here is an update. Lavender (muscovy mother) has three baby's :wee:Done mallard Looking one, one that has a black head and yellow chest, and one that is almost all yellow with a big black spot on her back and a few small spots on her head.I think I am naming the mostly yellow one DeeDee. Sorry no pictures yet but there should be some tomorrow.​

Back
Top Bottom