How should I respond to this?

I proctor exams for UMUC distance education and the adjuncts I've met there all tell me the same thing - it's a booger being an adjunct. They always fill the other classes first and cancel the adjuncts - leaving you to flip in the revenue breeze.

Because of that some adjuncts hedge their bets by working for other places and then taking the classes that serve them and their schedule.

Just answer her question and let it go - is what I would do. I know, though, it's a pain to get something like that.

Be happy that you get to select your text. UMUC is going more and more to departmental texts and tests. (and the profs HATE it).

If it were me, I would reply, "Please confirm I will in fact be teaching this class so I can arrange my schedule to make it my first priority."
Then again, jobs in my field are relatively easy to get, so I don't have to take a lot of guff. I guess you have to decide which is more important, working or not putting up with that stuff.

Another suggestion, confront her maturely. (I've used this one a lot with sucess)
"It appears from the tone of your email you lack confidence in me for some reason. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you so that we can remove this concern and improve our working relationship."
Very few people will have the courage to take you up on this and will usually come up with some lame excuse. If she does meet with you about it, then hopefully you can disarm her. At least she'll know to be careful what she types.

Good luck!

Being as courteous as possible will get you more. I've had difficult higher ups and the less of the flippant remarks answered the better. Good luck and I'll say a prayer. I want to teach someday and would not want to be in the same position.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I ticked off this person when I backed out that one time, and the classes I have been offered since have sucked. This is clearly evidence that she is holding a big time grudge. Part of me wants to address it, but part of me is afraid that if I make an issue out of it she'll just get worse.

Oh! <goes back and reads the line of your original post that I missed the first time, sorry>. OK then, that's a bit different. Gotcha.

I think you are absolutely right to thnk that making an issue of it could backfire. Just say "yes, I am definitely going to teach this class; please order <whatever text>."

If you want to sound accommodating, suggest they order whatever text was used last year, as it is sometimes a bit easier for the bookstore and definitely easier for the students (as it means used copies are floating around).

Then just ignore the whole history-and-grudge thing
tongue.png
Adjuncting is awkward *anyhow*, no need to make it any more complicated for yourself.

Good luck,

Pat​

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I have been teaching as an adjunct for a college for 9 years. That's 18 semesters of classes. Some semesters because of their scheduling issues or seniority issues I was bumped repeatedly out of classes I had been promised. I have had classes cancelled at the last minute. One semester I had my class taken the morning of the class! This is a loss of income.
he.gif

I am always there, I am always prepared, I always go the extra mile for my students. I backed out ONCE!
somad.gif

Then we had this e-mail exchange.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:13 AM, > wrote:
Thank you Kathy, I'll sign on for the Soc 212 The Family on Mondays at
NERC What is the recommended Text for this course these days. Last
time I taught it was some time ago and the text is out of date. Or may
I choose my own?

Her response:

Sharon - you can select your own, but I want you to confirm that doing the class is a first priority and that an opportunity to teach somewhere else won't preempt this. If we order the book you select and then I have to find another teacher, it will be a mess.
Let me know the name, publisher and ISBN and we'll order it.
Kathy

I am really POd at this. But, I don't want to respond when I am angry. Should I respond to this or just ignore her snarky tone?
rant.gif

It almost seems like she has you confused with someone else. That is very possible. I would just response you the info requested, and maybe next time you see her, have a chat. I bet she is thinking of someone else.​

I have to agree with the posters that say respond nicely and with pertinent information and just let the rest go.

We have an individual in our corporation who talks down to everyone like that and when I get an e-mail from her it just automatically sets me off. Unfortunately, she's been with the organization since dirt was formed and noone is ever going to fire her for her attitude. I've found if I answer sweetly and almost overpatronizingly (i.e. thank you so much for doing this for me!) that it shuts her up and keeps her off my back. People like that don't know how to respond to someone being so nice - they are used to being on the defensive.

Additionally, it is so easy for things to get misconstrued in an e-mail. We know what we mean but it doesn't always come across the same when someone else with a different mindset reads it. Best to avoid e-mail showdowns. Being the subordinate, you are bound to lose.

All that said, respond sweetly and then print and file the e-mail. You never know when you might need it to CYA!

Just smile and reply "Thanks Soo much for ordering (requested textbook) I Really appreciate it! And I promise, I won't back out if you don't!!
smile.png
Have a beautiful day, then sign your name"

I find it best to give commendation(in this instance appreciation for the work this person does getting the classes together or whatever) first, then the request, and then if you need or want, addressing issues in a light hearted manner that the receiver knows you are not angry or making fun. It seems to work. I also really try to remember please and thank you in my correspondence. It seems to help smooth things over a little.

Hope you have a great rest of the day!!!

Last edited:
Sadly, as an adjunct you have very little power. Truthfully, this other person probably has very little power too. It is likely that it is being dictated to her that she has to cancel classes, etc.

The director of our program is always tense and cranky right before the semesters begin. He has to ensure that the classes that the institution has agreed to offer are being covered, but at the same time is fighting back the administration who wants to cancel classes that aren't full. I'm tenure track and I've had classes cancelled at the last minute and new classes added on. (And somehow they are always classes that I've never taught before so I don't have syllabi or lesson plans in place!)

Be careful. Most universities are cutting their budgets like crazy. Ours has been told to cut an additional $10 million from the current year (added to the $9 million we have already cut) and to expect at least another $10 million to be cut next year (in addition to the $19 million of this year). The president has already said that they will be cutting faculty. We're guessing this means all adjuncts and temps will be cut first and then they'll start attacking tenured folks. Acckkk!! Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. A job is a job in this day and age.
Good luck!

Quote:
They aren't likely to cut adjunct and temporary-instructor positions (except insofar as they cut the total number of courses/sections being offered). It makes much more financial sense (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on what chair you're sitting in
tongue.png
) for the institution to cut FACULTY, who are quite expensive to keep 'round, than adjuncts and instructors, who are paid peanuts with poor benefits and only hired as semester-by-semester courseloads require.

THus, usually the first thing to happen is consolidation of courses (they offer fewer courses and larger (thus fewer) sections of 'em), which mildly decreases the number of adjunct and instructor positions; but further belt-tightening is generally in the form of a hiring freeze where when tenured faculty retire or leave they don't get replaced. (From an economic sense they'd also like to actually ditch some tenured faculty too, but in a union-and-contract sense this is seldom possible). Reducing faculty size usually INCREASES the number of adjunct and TI positions available. Basically it shifts teaching from high-paid professors to low-paid single-term-contract people. Thus not necessarily bad for those who make a living as adjuncts.

Missing academia in some ways but NOT in others
tongue.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom