How should I store eggs until ready to incubate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenkerri, Mar 11, 2009.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My neighbor gave me some fresh fertilized eggs to put in my bator but I'm waiting for some other eggs to arrive from Ebay. Should I put her eggs in the fridge until the others arrive or will that reduce their viability?

Thanks Everyone!! [​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    No fridge. I store mine at room temp, in an paper egg tray, tilting it from side to side once a day. Also place the little end down. and you can keep them up to 10 days, after day that hatch rates can drop considerably.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
  3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    They should be stored at 55 to 60 degrees. Any higher than that and the developing process could start and quit.

4. chickenkerri

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Does this still work even if she already refrigerated some of them?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Although some people have had successful hatches with refrigerated eggs, the best thing is to keep them between 45 and 65 degrees. I don't think 70 or 75 will hurt for a few days. Growing up on the farm, we kept them in a bucket under the sink and had viable eggs. We did not have air conditioning.

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Mine are stored at around 70 to 75, for up to 7 days, and I havent had any problems yet. [​IMG]

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Yeah,
    I was gone say, who keeps an area at 45-65 degrees just to store eggs? My fridge aint much below 45! and my house stays at 70?
    I keep all mine in the egg trays as mentioned above, rotate 1-2 times daily, and just keep them in the house at a decent room temp, true dont let it get to 80-85 degrees in there, but a 70 degree house is just perfect for a week or so. done it that way for many a year.
    Aubrey

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  8. chickenkerri

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So should I put the cold ones back in the fridge and leave the other out? Or leave them all out?

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I'd just leave them all out
    Fridges can get too cold at times and possibly freeze them

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I put refridgerated Ameraucana eggs in the incubator at the beginning of March just for the heck of it and they are growing just as well as the others. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by