How should you hold a chicken?

RR - How'd you do that? Sing him a lullaby?
smile.png

let them "lay" on my arm, hold them close to my stomach/chest so they dont slip and fall or something. fingers go through their legs. so i can hold their legs if they start to kick/scratch trying to get away.. right hand on the loose wing to hold it still this way, im comfortable. their comfortable. and pretty simple really. Only thing you have to watch out for is roosters with big sharp pointy spurs.. but then just put your fingers over them (maybe rest them on the spur)

-Daniel

Picture-
tn.jpg
just took it.. it looks odd because i had to take the picture with my Phone, Hold him. and get a good angle so you can see. Not exactly how i hold them as their more rested but you should get the general Idea.

PS... forgive his feathers.. going through the molt right now

Last edited:
Quote:
Believe it or not, my chickens are 21 weeks old and I've yet to be pooped on! *knock on wood* I've stepped in plenty of it, even stuck my hand in it once. The best was this morning at 8 am when I stepped in it barefoot. :thun

Ours are more than 2 years old and I have never been pooped on!
big_smile.png

I hold most of ours like shown by ILOVEJOE except I put my left arm around the front of the bird and left hand under their feet.

Most of our flock are lap chickens, so we end up holding them a lot!

Ours are more than 2 years old and I have never been pooped on!
big_smile.png

Well, then, you haven't lived! Nothing says "I love you" like a panicking chicken bestowing the gift of poo on you in an explosive manner, or in a sneak attack when you least expect it. The innocent look of "That wasn't me!" is priceless!

Depending on the bird, if it's fairly tame, I carry it like a football, but if it tends to panic and I'm going to get scratched up while trying to hang on, I'll carry it upside-down by the feet. It's usually the larger ones I have a problem hanging on to... I guess that's what happens when you're an elf.
roll.png

Well, then, you haven't lived! Nothing says "I love you" like a panicking chicken bestowing the gift of poo on you in an explosive manner, or in a sneak attack when you least expect it. The innocent look of "That wasn't me!" is priceless!

I AM the world's best beak napkin!
lol.png

You guys make me laugh.
gig.gif

I got a big time poop plopped in my lap last weekend when I was delivering one of my sweet roos to their new home. I'm sure he was a bit scared and all, and I had him in my lap on the front seat of the car. ...all of a sudden I felt a really warm spot on my thigh - I'm talking BIG
ep.gif
It's a good thing I had thought to bring a change of clothes.

Quote:
LOL, that picture brings back memories... when I was little (I pretty much grew up at the barn where mom kept her horses), they used to call me the "chicken charmer" cause I would catch and tame the ginormous, nasty roosters that people would dump out there in the middle of the night cause they were scared of them. And being very little, that's how I would carry them around, legs dangling
lol.png

Rooster-red - the big, melted orange lump in your hand is adorable haha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom