how soon after birth should a baby chick be able to stand alone?

crazy4eggsJulie

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 15, 2009
new to chicks

took baby away from mother hen but baby is not standing well. Down is dry. Not sure how many hours old it is.

We had a couple of chicks this past hatch that took what seemed forever to stand on their own. Some had issues at the time of hatching that influenced their ability to stand (weak) but were able to within 4-6 hours. So maybe it's just a newbie and taking its time. Good luck!

I just hatched my first chicks three weeks ago. The first one out was trying to stand up and walk about within 10 minutes. The second one just lay sprawled out flat for a whole day and I really thought it would probably die. I made sure the others weren't kicking it out from under the heat lamp and gave it sugar water and it perked up a bit and wriggled its legs but still wouldn't stand up. Late on in the second day I eventually picked it up and held it in a 'sitting' position until it got the idea, which took about 25 minutes. It's now fine and as healthy as the others. The third and fourth ones were a bit slower to stand up than the first one, but still bopping around within two hours...

I'm on my first incubation and my first chick to hatch just keeps falling down every time it tries to stand. It has only been out 30 mins, but I was wondering if this is normal. I see all these videos were chicks hatch and stand up almost right away.

I'm on my first incubation and my first chick to hatch just keeps falling down every time it tries to stand. It has only been out 30 mins, but I was wondering if this is normal. I see all these videos were chicks hatch and stand up almost right away.
welcome-byc.gif

This is normal. Mine often take a couple hours to really get the hang of using those legs. And yep, they're like little pinballs in the incubator, bouncing off the other eggs, laying on them, etc. It's okay.

So far 5 out of 6 are completely out of there shells and walking around good now. My last one put a huge gapping hole in the shell and I can watch it breathing, but I don't believe it has the strength to get out. It has been like this for roughly twelve hours, but it does keep fighting to make it through.

So far 5 out of 6 are completely out of there shells and walking around good now. My last one put a huge gapping hole in the shell and I can watch it breathing, but I don't believe it has the strength to get out. It has been like this for roughly twelve hours, but it does keep fighting to make it through.

I had one like that. I assumed it was rotated the wrong way in the shell, because it never zipped the whole perimeter, but just popped open a small hole. I broke the shell like the others, put it back in, and let it push itself out. That bird was fine.

Last edited:
It's pretty weird. It not just a small hole. It chipped away a hole about the soze of a dime half the way around the egg

Back
Top Bottom