How soon after ducklings hatch do hens start laying again?

Corbdee

Duckies!
Aug 1, 2020
Middle of somewhere
All the ducklings I'll get in this clutch have hatched, there's no more eggs left. I had 2 mamas sitting on the clutch throughout the entire hatch, I couldn't break one of them because if one stopped the other would too. Anyways I'm left with just one hatchling out of the clutch, and I have 3 ducklings that hatched in my Bator that I'll give to the mama after a few days of being inside. First of all I'm thinking that now I'll finally have to split the mamas up, one mama with the ducklings and have the other go back to normal life, will all of this work? :fl
If so, I'm not sure which one to pick to raise them, I have a runner and a mallard who sat; the runner seemed more like the dominant mom but I hear they aren't great mothers after the hatch.

Next, if this works, how long will it take for the one that'll go back to normal to start laying again? And what about the one that'll raise the little ones?

All the ducklings I'll get in this clutch have hatched, there's no more eggs left. I had 2 mamas sitting on the clutch throughout the entire hatch, I couldn't break one of them because if one stopped the other would too. Anyways I'm left with just one hatchling out of the clutch, and I have 3 ducklings that hatched in my Bator that I'll give to the mama after a few days of being inside. First of all I'm thinking that now I'll finally have to split the mamas up, one mama with the ducklings and have the other go back to normal life, will all of this work? :fl
If so, I'm not sure which one to pick to raise them, I have a runner and a mallard who sat; the runner seemed more like the dominant mom but I hear they aren't great mothers after the hatch.

Next, if this works, how long will it take for the one that'll go back to normal to start laying again? And what about the one that'll raise the little ones?
I’m not sure what one will be a better mom but @DuckyDonna has runners she may know
Mallards have great mothering as well
For going back to normal my pekin after sitting 30 days her first time was back to laying eggs in one week
But she didn’t want to be a mom and rejected her baby so maybe that played a part
I have heard it can take a few weeks

I’m not sure what one will be a better mom but @DuckyDonna has runners she may know
Mallards have great mothering as well
For going back to normal my pekin after sitting 30 days her first time was back to laying eggs in one week
But she didn’t want to be a mom and rejected her baby so maybe that played a part
I have heard it can take a few weeks
I've only ever incubator hatched so I've never had a runner mama.

I've never had a Runner mama either. Way too busy to sit on eggs. My Muscovy usually starts back laying around 3 weeks after they have hatched ducklings. After sitting and raising ducklings having that short break helps them get back in shape to lay again.

I've never had a Runner mama either. Way too busy to sit on eggs. My Muscovy usually starts back laying around 3 weeks after they have hatched ducklings. After sitting and raising ducklings having that short break helps them get back in shape to lay again.
Gotcha, that's not bad, makes sense for the poor girls. Do you think it's wise to separate them even after they've incubated the eggs and have one of them take care of my ducklings that are inside? They haven't been introduced yet.

I've always given mama and ducklings their own space for a couple weeks before letting them be with the flock. I make it so everyone can see each other but ducklings and mama are safe. If the ducklings haven't been introduced this duck you are wanting her to care for most likely she won't take to them unless she is on eggs then she may take to them but if they are already hatched they may not take to her.

Back
Top Bottom