How soon before I need to refrigerate an egg

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StaatsFarms, Nov 6, 2009.

1. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    i just got my first egg today and wanted to know how long before i need to put it in the fridge

2. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    My advice is, don't. Unless the egg is fertilized, or if you have washed it, eggs taste fresher if they haven't been refrigerated. In France, as in many other parts of the world, they never refrigerate eggs. The "bloom" ( a natural, protective layer on the egg) will help keep the egg fresh unless you wash it. You'd be surprised how long eggs could last. If you were planning to eat the egg in the next couple of weeks, it should be fine.

Anyone else?

3. spammy

spammy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    eggs can be kept on the counter for a week and still be fine. I usually refridgerate mine the same day. do not wash them, you will wash off the protective bloom and they will not last as long. unwashed refridgerated eggs will be good for months.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i keep my eggs in a basket on my counter for up to three weeks. i only refrigerate them when it is very hot outside and inside. So far, i'm alive.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Although, if you have a roo in with the hens, you may want to refrigerate eggs fairly promptly (esp in warm/hot weather) to ensure no development. It won't *hurt* you, and I'm sure some people are unfazed by breaking open an egg and finding development going on inside, but personally (despite being a professional biologist and relatively un-gross-out-able about most things) I just prefer to avoid having that happen, as it really does not add to my enjoyment of the breakfastmaking process [​IMG]

(edited to clarify, they won't do anything at like 70F, but if you have a hot coop or pathologically-hot kitchen (like mine!) you may see occasional issues. I had a few eggs with blood rings or veins, in hot weather only, before I started collecting twice-daily and putting them directly in the fridge. None since)

Pat

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  6. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    THANKS PAT!!! I can always count on you for great answers...

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Mine are fertile eggs that stay on the counter in a wire basket for acouple weeks at a time if they haven't been used up. Never have I seen any signs of development in a cracked egg.

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I always leave mine in a pretty ceramic rooster bowl on my kitchen counter. I only refrigerate if they're dirty (like someone laid an egg in the muddy dirt in my flower pots [​IMG]) and then I wash & scrub them and refrigerate them......or feed them directly to the dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by