1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Soon Can I expect Rhode Island Chicks to Lay 1st egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BreezyAcresYork, Mar 24, 2012.

1. BreezyAcresYork

BreezyAcresYork New Egg

Mar 24, 2012
    See if anyone here can help me out a bit ;-) I'm getting like 6 Rhode Island Red Hens as chicks, when or what is the approximate age of the hens when they start laying there 1st eggs? Would you suggest some adult hens with the chicks to start out or i'm open to any suggestions offered here. I have the coop , just no chicks yet. Ready to get this going tho . I'd appreciate any feed back folks to the new chicken raiser. I helped on my grand fathers farm , but been along time.

2. chickenobsessed

chickenobsessed Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    5-6 months!!!when they get a little older like 3-4 month put golf balls in the nesting box to encourage them

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    My RIR layer her first egg right about the 20-21 week. My Golden Sexlink started at the same time and then my Red Blue Laced Wyandotte started about the 23rd week. Still waiting on an EE and we're at about 25 weeks now.

4. The Old Whittler

The Old Whittler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    I received 10 RIR chicks last August and got my first egg when they were 23 weeks and 1 day old. Within just a few weeks they all seemed to be laying and now I'm getting 7 to 8 a day and have been for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by