How soon can I "free range" the newest addtitions to our flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by funny farmer, Jun 1, 2012.

1. funny farmer

funny farmer In the Brooder

May 12, 2012
    Aberdeen, Washington
    I recently acquired 3 bantams (2 hens and a rooster) from a coworker who is relocating and needing to re-home her chickens. They are approximately a year old and have been allowed to free range pretty much their whole lives. I guess they were difficult to capture. I currently have them contained in a large run with my other girls. After the initial introductions were made, they started getting along extremely well. I currently allow my other girls to free range during the day and close them up at night. My question is, How long should I wait before I allow the newest additions to free range with the others, without worrying they might run off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We added 2 bantam pullets to my flock. Mine free range and so did the other 2, so I put them in the coop together the night they arrived. Then the next morning, I opened the coop door. They kind of hung around the edge of the group, but always stayed in sight. The 2 new ones were used to sleeping in trees, so they were confused when everyone went to bed in the coop - all by themselves. One hid under the coop and the other sat on top. They both "cried" and with a little help from my daughter and I, they finally made it in the coop. We haven't had a problem since then. They are actually the first ones to bed now!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: