1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How soon can I tell gender on silver button quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Halloweengirl13, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    I hatched a mixed bunch of eggs and ended up with a bunch of Blueface, a wild colored, a golden pearl, a red breasted,and 5 silver. All but 1 of the Blueface were boys and have obvious rust colored vent feathers, so does the red breasted. None of the silvers have any pink feathers yet does that mean they are girls for sure or should I wait longer, they are about 3 wks old I think.

2. Halloweengirl13

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    The red Breasted didn't show the red vent feathers until a couple days after the Blueface boys did

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

By the end of week 8 they should be in their permanent adult feathers. Sometimes they'll change colors a bit during their molt into adult feathers so until 8 weeks its hard to be totally sure.

4. Halloweengirl13

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    Three are showing pinkish feathers on their vents and belly's , I separated them for further observation.all my other color boys have shown clear signs of being male by 3-4 weeks. Basically as soon as the vent feathers start coming in. It's just hard to tell with the silvers cause the colors are so pale. I have two white ones but I guess I am going to have to wait for crowing or eggs before I figure them out... I have them in a cage together separate from the rest.

5. Halloweengirl13

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    Ended up with 3 boys and two girls in silver

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by