How soon can you move a mama and ducklings?

lilyduck

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Hi all -

I have a broody welsh harlequin sitting on 14 eggs right now. She's in the corner of a pen shared with 2 geese, 3 drakes, and 11 other female ducks. I have a little portable fence separating her from the flock while she's setting. But, the fence only gives her about 4 square feet of floor space when the other ducks are in the pen. I'm worried about having enough space for her once all the ducklings hatch. Is it possible to move a mama duck and her ducklings a week or so after hatching is done? I have a larger building that she can have to herself with the ducklings. Or will she freak out and abandon the ducklings if I move her?

Any suggestions appreciated!

I'm not an expert on this, but in the wild, most mother ducks will move their ducklings when they are about a day old. So, I wouldn't think moving them would be a problem. They don't stay in the nest for very long.

In fact, if you let her out on her own, all the ducklings will follow, so if you can lead her into the new building, that would be perfect.

i've moved ducks before. in a day or 2 after there born you can move them. the mother might attack you if yo pick the babies up, so i suggest herding them into the new barn. but she wont abandon her babies. good luck

Back
Top Bottom