How soon do you think she’ll lay?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
My RIR is 16-17 weeks. I know that’s early for laying. She recently started showing VERY red waddles and comb. How soon after a pullet starts getting red do you usually see the first egg? I’m getting so impatient and excited. My first flock so bear with me.

IMG_2071.jpeg
IMG_2071.jpeg

My RIR's started laying at 22 weeks....I talked bad about their attitude but since they have started laying they have become quite pleasant and actually some of my favorites. They just do their thing, go in the coop and lay....make a little noise then go about their business. Overall a pleasant chicken since the laying started. Best of luck!!

I’m not sure? I don’t really notice differences in her behavior
Squatting is when the pullet/hen plants her feet, drops and crouches down for the rooster to mount them. Even without a roo, she'll start to squat for you when you reach for her if she's getting close to laying.

Watch for them "investigating" the nest boxes and be sure to put a faux egg in one or two boxes.

My Sapphire Splash started at 18 weeks, most of the other girls around 20-22 weeks. And at 27 weeks, still waiting for the Prairie Bluebell to lay her first. 🙄

This is my first flock also, that first egg seems to take forever to arrive but so exciting when it finally does! 🥰

My RIR's started laying at 22 weeks....I talked bad about their attitude but since they have started laying they have become quite pleasant and actually some of my favorites. They just do their thing, go in the coop and lay....make a little noise then go about their business. Overall a pleasant chicken since the laying started. Best of luck!!
Interesting! I only have one RIR and she’s my friendliest of the flock!

Back
Top Bottom