How soon is too soon for watermelon?

My 7 day olds Love Love Love watermelon...I have tried yogurt they hadn't been real crazy about it...Today I put some on the back of my hand and put my hand flat on the bottom of the brooder....they sure liked it then!!!! Put a small amount in a lid for them and it was like a feeding frenzy!!!!

I let my chicks eat whatever they want. If they don't want too, they won't. As long as they have access to starter so they won't be forced to eat the watermelon it should work out fine!

I gave mine watermelon at 2 weeks with grit and yes, the poo was watery and reddish! I had to post here to make sure it wasn't cocci, and it wasn't. We are 2 weeks later and super healthy. Just warning you about the reddish poo.

I would think at 5 days old you would run the risk of them filling up on too much and not get enough or any protein and 1 day probably wouldn't hurt, but I would lay off the treats until they got older.

I start mine when they ar about this big
brahmas.jpg

Thank you every one for the watermelon input! I don't know if yogurt is considered a treat but I gave them a bit of yogurt today instead of watermelon and they loved it after i stirred it around with some of their regular food. They sort of went nuts with it.

Mine won't ever eat yogurt......they just step in it and run around with it on their feet. My hens won't eat it either. I wish they would; it's so good for them.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom