How Talented Are Raccoons?

Raccoons are pretty good at getting latches open. But I believe it is something like as long as they are 3 steps to them that they can't get in. Here is an infographic though which better helps answer that question for you - http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators
It is a good article. I have had coyotes in the pat both dig under a fence and go over a fence. I had a bobcat dig under a fence and killed 14 birds. It made the mistake of coming back a couple of nights later. I have had a possum dig under a fence and kill a bird which I also caught in the act. This is what I use on my gates and so far have had no issues. Maybe the coons are as smart here as they are in other places.
SpringHookSpringLatch.jpg

On the door to one of my runs I have 3 of the spring-loaded hook/eye latches like cmom's photo above. Plus a gate is secured across that entire end of the run; so far so good....

RE: bringing bird feeders in at night, if you have some tall trees, or even the corner of your house roof, that are spaced far enough apart, we use two strands of +/- 60# test fishing line (not monofilament) running together and strung from one tree to another. Feeders (no more than two tube feeders) hang from the fishing line on little shepherds' crook hooks. Not even squirrels can tightrope their way across the line to get at the feeders. Important that line is about 7 feet above the ground if you have deer in the yard, plus, no tree canopy or overhangs directly above the feeders. Nearly 10 years without anything getting to the feeders.

I admit, the feeders probably wouldn't be so inviting if they weren't on the edge of a small wooded area in our yard. I don't worry so much about the squirrels anymore. I have the feeders there because our area is heavy with hawks, and they target the feeder birds. Often, I see a pile of feathers in the yard from one poor bird that got caught. I've even stopped an attack, running towards a hawk when it attacked a bird. The trees give the birds safe ... or safer cover. I have 4 feeders. On a positive note, when there aren't any birds at them and not a bird to be seen, I know there's a hawk nearby.

I don't mind bringing them in every evening, although I might trim them back to 3 feeders instead of 4.

I like the spring-loaded hook/eye latches. Might go that route. Tonight, I added a locking carabiner to one of the doors. I'll grab another and use that for another door. On another door, I'm putting 2 basic carabiner clips on it. This will give me some peace of mind until I can pick up the locking hook/eye latches.

Back
Top Bottom