Raccoon lock on metal framed run

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
I have the general metal runs, but I've covered it with hardware cloth in place of the chicken wire it came with. Today I saw a raccoon inside the run, and all the chickens were outside the run. I'm not sure if I left the run open (broad daylight, 1pm) or the raccoon opened the latch (just a simple -u-shaped latch that you lift and then push the door in..)

Anyhow, does anyone know what lock I can use to deter raccoons in the future? It didn't go for the chickens..it went inside the coop..walked around...looked high... But calm.

Right now all I had was a long thick zip tie. I added few of them to lock the door. I don't know how I can find a lock for it.

Attachments

• 77d9bf8e-d6be-4c85-a5d2-8c7d8d00cea4.jpeg
    77d9bf8e-d6be-4c85-a5d2-8c7d8d00cea4.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7830.jpeg
    IMG_7830.jpeg
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7829.jpeg
    IMG_7829.jpeg
    924.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7828.jpeg
    IMG_7828.jpeg
    909.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7827.jpeg
    IMG_7827.jpeg
    798.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7826.jpeg
    IMG_7826.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
That's mighty bold of your raccoon to be "casing the joint" like that in broad daylight!😳

I use heavy duty carabiners to lock the gate into our chicken yard, and on all the latches to their coop -- main door, nest box lids, access doors to the hardware cloth-covered covered run inside the fenced yard. So far neither the coons nor my toddler grandson have been able to operate those stiff locks.:thumbsup

We have lots of raccoons around our property due to the woods and nearby creek; they show up on our trail cams all the time. The only other thing I would trust to deter them is a padlock! Those oh-so-clever little hands, and lots of determination!

I have the general metal runs, but I've covered it with hardware cloth in place of the chicken wire it came with. Today I saw a raccoon inside the run, and all the chickens were outside the run. I'm not sure if I left the run open (broad daylight, 1pm) or the raccoon opened the latch (just a simple -u-shaped latch that you lift and then push the door in..)

Anyhow, does anyone know what lock I can use to deter raccoons in the future? It didn't go for the chickens..it went inside the coop..walked around...looked high... But calm.

Right now all I had was a long thick zip tie. I added few of them to lock the door. I don't know how I can find a lock for it.
How did you get it out of there?
Really need to see pics of the run as it is now to spot any gaps it might have gotten thru.

There's should be hole in the current latch to put a lock, spring latch, or just a length of heavy wire.

How did you get it out of there?
Really need to see pics of the run as it is now to spot any gaps it might have gotten thru.

There's should be hole in the current latch to put a lock, spring latch, or just a length of heavy wire.
So there was one chicken left inside the run...but it wasn't after him...it went into the coop. So I called my husband to hold a wooden piece over the door of the coop while I gathered the last chicken. I threw the chickens into a small shed.

Then my husband got out of the run and took a hose and tried to spray it out. It eventually left the coop when it didn't find eggs. Thank God I had collected them all earlier! I'm hoping bc he didn't find food, maybe he won't return?

I didn't see any holes. Even the front door has hardware cloth around the edge to prevent gaps. The door was wide open, so I'm 100% he got in from there, as all the other chickens had run out of the run.

Then my husband got out of the run and took a hose and tried to spray it out. It eventually left the coop when it didn't find eggs. Thank God I had collected them all earlier! I'm hoping bc he didn't find food, maybe he won't return?

Oh, it will definitely return. It has found a location full of food/meat and it will be very determined to get in. Raccoons don't just eat eggs. Proper current pictures are required if you want help with your setup.

I found it at a local home supply store, I think. You may be able to get them at Home Depot.
Oh, it will definitely return. It has found a location full of food/meat and it will be very determined to get in. Raccoons don't just eat eggs. Proper current pictures are required if you want help with your setup.
I'll get pictures up soon.

Back
Top Bottom