1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How tall are bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Roaring Rory, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Roaring Rory

Roaring Rory Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Does anyone no how tall bantams are? I know they are small but I was wondering in how many inches.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    It depends on the breed a Japenese is going to be much shorter than a Malay bantam. As a rule of thumb bantams are normally 1/5th it's largefowl counterpart unless it's a true bantam than there's no large fowl counterpart. Bantams are proportionately bigger in the head and proportionatly to the body they lay bigger eggs. What breed did you have in mind?

3. Roaring Rory

Feb 19, 2015
    Cochin Bantams

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's about ten inches tall, when upright. About two inches when she's pancaked out on a nest trying to cover a bunch of eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Roaring Rory

Feb 19, 2015
    So sweet. I am planning on getting two. My first ever. So excited. I can't wait to share pictures but first waiting for some eggs. My co worker has bantams and she is going to incubate some eggs for me.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I love my bantam cochin ladies. I'm down to two, now, mostly due to age. I kept them to be broodies for my main flock, but now that the breeding bug has bitten hard, I'm replacing them with Dark Cornish hens, just cause they can cover more eggs at a time [​IMG] I'll probably always have a few little cochins, though, just cause they're adorable. I'm going to cross my current ladies with my silkie rooster this summer, I love that cross also.

7. jaja

jaja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    hi
    may i ask about bantam brahma rooster and hen how much max hight should be?
    thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by