1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How tall do runner ducks get?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gritsar, Feb 1, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm building a pen for some future runner ducks [​IMG] in my head.
    Once they are of a good size they'll be able to free range all day like my chickens do, so I just need an idea of how high to build their nighttime pen.

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    minimum of 3-foot

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    mine are about 24 inches tall when standing straight up. But they don't stand striaght up all the time. I would not call them big ducks at all.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks y'all.
    Nettie, how do you like the personality of the runners? I've wanted a few of them even before I got chickens.
    My plan is to make sure that we "accidently" visit Atwoods when they get their baby poultry in the spring. I'm wearing my SO down little by little. [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My runner is afraid of her own shadow.

The duck I have with the most personality is my buff duck.

My smartest duck appears to be the khaki hen.

My hubby finally caved after 2 years, and now he is totally in love with the ducks. What finally turned him in to a duck person wasn't the eggs...it was when he saw Janet (the khaki) chase a squirrel out of the yard!!!

He is still mad that he didn't get any apples off our trees last year because the squirrels ate them all. Now that he sees the ducks patrolling, he has hope he will get apples and maybe even a pear or two [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by