How tall is a chicken?

uh, lets say BO, BR, EE, and Mille fleur d'uccle.

First of all, an Easter Egger has no standard, period. It's a mixed breed bird.

Secondly, the Standard does not specify height that I recall, only weight and the conformation of the bird. I don't have the Standard of Perfection in right front of me to give you exact specs of every breed, but the height and weight of a Jersey Giant will be different than a Plymouth Rock.
YOU need a standard for the breed you are raising. Go get a Standard of Perfection and read it. Study it. Learn the standard for the breed of chicken you are interested in. A Belgian D'Anver is a tiny bantam of mere 26 ounces at maturity. A Buff Orp can be 10 lbs or more so of course, the Buff Orpington is a massive bird of substantial height. Obviously the height varies among even each bird of the breed, just like with humans.
My Blue Orpington rooster was not as tall as my friend's Blue Orpington rooster but he was probably a pound heavier than hers in his prime. I don't recall ever measuring his exact height, only his weight.

Last edited:
Bill, this is a VERY old thread from 2009 that was dredged up. The original poster probably doesn't even remember it and I daresay has seen plenty of chickens since that time.

Didn't even notice that but I guess you didn't at first either since you also responded to it today.

Didn't even notice that but I guess you didn't at first either since you also responded to it today.
Actually, I was responding because of the person who brought it back up today, Bill. I did notice the age of the original post, but this new person quoted my response from 2009 and challenged me to give him/her more information.
wink.png
Unfortunately, I only quoted the first post. Somehow, my multi quote didn't work and I didn't go back and fix it.

This person asked me a question directly:

OK give us examples.

American standard please inches.

Last edited:
WOW still no height, just weight. 10 lbs that must be why they call them buff. I think it safe to say 2" tall is good.

Back
Top Bottom