how tall should my duck fencing be?

pringle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Pepperell,MA
Im getting 4 mallards 1 boy 3 girls and also a pekin in about 2 weeks.Im very exited but need to get started on there run.Its gonna go into the woods,into part of my swamp and also its gonna have 2 tiny ponds in it.The deth is about a foot and the like 7by4.I plan on running wire fencing around it.Since most of them are mallards they still have loads of natural instinct left so they will probibly hide in the wooded part incase a hawk comes by which is rare.How high should the fencing be?I think I might cut there flight feathers but still how high can they fly?

Are they authentic flying Mallards or Rouens?
If they are Rouens they will stay in any nice little fence. They are totally flightless. Real Mallards will fly right over any fence that is not covered by a top. If you were to clip there wings they would probably stay in a fence about 3 or 4 feet easy. If you are concerned about predators it might need to be a little higher.

My duck run goes from 6 foot fence down to four foot fencing - they fly right out over the 4 foot fence without any problem. They stay in at night, but in the morning, if I am not out at the crack of dawn to open the gate, they just let themselves out
lau.gif
I have mallards and call ducks - they both fly out easily, none have clipped wings.

I don't know if they could clear the 6 foot fence or not - they haven't tried. The 4 foot fence goes into the yard towards their pools the 6 foot fence goes into the woods.

meri

Mojo Chick'n :

My duck run goes from 6 foot fence down to four foot fencing - they fly right out over the 4 foot fence without any problem. They stay in at night, but in the morning, if I am not out at the crack of dawn to open the gate, they just let themselves out
lau.gif
I have mallards and call ducks - they both fly out easily, none have clipped wings.

I don't know if they could clear the 6 foot fence or not - they haven't tried. The 4 foot fence goes into the yard towards their pools the 6 foot fence goes into the woods.

meri

Real mallards would fly over the 6' fence. Ours fly over the house all the time.​

The mallards im getting are domesticated mallards from IDEAL poultry.I guess I should clip there wings and have a fence 4-5 ft high?

Quote:
Real mallards would fly over the 6' fence. Ours fly over the house all the time.

They probably could fly over, they just haven't tried - like I said, the four foot fence goes towards the yard and the pools. I've seen mine fly pretty far before, and pretty high, also.

meri

Quote:
Lol Iv had pekins before too and trust me I know they cant fly.I use to have fencing 1 ft high and they couldent jump that.

Back
Top Bottom