how tall should my fence be?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mycountrycabin, Apr 11, 2008.

1. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    I have some turkeys and i would like to know how tall my fence should be so they cant jump/fly over it?

Thank You!!!

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Songster

Mar 28, 2007
    you can put up a 5ft or 6ft fence.an most likely they could still fly over or jump up on it an go over.the best thing todo along with the fence is clipp 1 of their wings.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Depends on what kind of turkeys. If they are broad breasted varieties, they can barely fly after a while. Heritage and wild strains can fly very well.

Our flight pens are 8 foot tall and covered in flight top netting to keep them in. We raise wild eastern turkeys.

Jody

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    i have 6 braodbreasted and 4 giant whites, do you think they would fly over a 6ft fence?

5. Frosty

Frosty Songster

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    If they are first year birds, they can go over. I had a 6 foot fence with a board across the top, it was about 18" under the top of the doorway in my horse shelter. I had to close up the rest of the space because they kept roosting on the top board and jumping down on the outside. And this was AFTER I clipped one wing. (And be careful if you clip wings as they get older... I got a smack in the nose with a wing and thought for sure my nose was broken. It hurt!!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: