1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how tall should my fence be?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mycountrycabin, Apr 11, 2008.

1. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    I have some turkeys and i would like to know how tall my fence should be so they cant jump/fly over it?

Thank You!!!

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can put up a 5ft or 6ft fence.an most likely they could still fly over or jump up on it an go over.the best thing todo along with the fence is clipp 1 of their wings.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Depends on what kind of turkeys. If they are broad breasted varieties, they can barely fly after a while. Heritage and wild strains can fly very well.

Our flight pens are 8 foot tall and covered in flight top netting to keep them in. We raise wild eastern turkeys.

Jody

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    i have 6 braodbreasted and 4 giant whites, do you think they would fly over a 6ft fence?

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    If they are first year birds, they can go over. I had a 6 foot fence with a board across the top, it was about 18" under the top of the doorway in my horse shelter. I had to close up the rest of the space because they kept roosting on the top board and jumping down on the outside. And this was AFTER I clipped one wing. (And be careful if you clip wings as they get older... I got a smack in the nose with a wing and thought for sure my nose was broken. It hurt!!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by