How tall should my fence be

Mine are all larger birds but they still fly out. They're not the size of Jersey Giants but I have a black Orpington that's close. I also have RIR's and French Copper Marans. The reds and the orps were the biggest problem before I increased my fence height to 5 foot.

You may want to net over the top of the run. I used inexpensive deer netting to do this. Some breeds are better flyers than others but my Easter Eggers bounded over a 6-foot privacy fence as though it wasn't there, and I'd bet they could have gotten higher, so if it's important they not get out it's best to net them in.

You may want to net over the top of the run. I used inexpensive deer netting to do this. Some breeds are better flyers than others but my Easter Eggers bounded over a 6-foot privacy fence as though it wasn't there, and I'd bet they could have gotten higher, so if it's important they not get out it's best to net them in.

I should correct that last post. They were still flying out with a 3 foot fence. They haven't flown out since I added the extra 2 feet of fence height when I build the new pen. The old pen just surrounded the coop and run and the new one gives them plenty of free range space without getting outside to free range.

I have a pretty big run for my birds and it has trees and shrubs in it so I can not cover it and can not afford to get higher fence. My thought was to buy driveway marker poles and attach them to my fence posts and run fishing line across the top of the fence at about 6" this way when they hopped on top of the fence to hop over they would bump into the wire and fall back down. I don't think they could get tangled in it because it will be a single line and tied as tight as possible. My husband asked why don't I use something they can see but my thought is then they would just try and hop on the line to hop over. Part of the fence belongs to my neighbor and he doesn't mind the chickens in his yard, but we have a lot of loose dogs and I am afraid the chickens will not be able to get over the fence quick enough if one is after them.

I have a pretty big run for my birds and it has trees and shrubs in it so I can not cover it and can not afford to get higher fence. My thought was to buy driveway marker poles and attach them to my fence posts and run fishing line across the top of the fence at about 6" this way when they hopped on top of the fence to hop over they would bump into the wire and fall back down. I don't think they could get tangled in it because it will be a single line and tied as tight as possible. My husband asked why don't I use something they can see but my thought is then they would just try and hop on the line to hop over. Part of the fence belongs to my neighbor and he doesn't mind the chickens in his yard, but we have a lot of loose dogs and I am afraid the chickens will not be able to get over the fence quick enough if one is after them.

I have a 5' fence and lots of plants and trees in the run. When one gets out they can't wait to get back in that being said. I catch the one that's out and clip one wing that is the safest thing to do.

I have two brahmas and four red pullets...still in tubs under heat lamps making their new home outside ...I have 4ft fencing...will that be sufficient enough? Is it common to clip wings? Where I live it's a very rural town no stop light or blinker kinda town allowed to have them but no free roaming...

Clipping their wings does no harm so why not. I think that 4' is a little short as I said mine is 5' and they can get out but rarely do. Much cheaper to clip them than replace the fence.

I have two brahmas and four red pullets...still in tubs under heat lamps making their new home outside ...I have 4ft fencing...will that be sufficient enough? Is it common to clip wings? Where I live it's a very rural town no stop light or blinker kinda town allowed to have them but no free roaming...

My fence is 5 foot high welded wire and I don't clip my chickens wings and have never had one try to fly out in over a year.

Back
Top Bottom